Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010

I've set up a blog at wordpress while ongoing problems with commenting at the cafe continue. It's here.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

The Café is running on really really bad software. Why don't you just archive a bunch of stuff and start from scratch?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p><a href="http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Vanilla/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=28&page=1">The Unthinkable</a></p>
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

The Cafe was actually running on really great software in many ways. Going to Wordpress is definitely a step backwards, especially in terms of the presentation of math, but we have no choice at the moment because of the current mysterious validation bugs that Jacques can't figure out how to fix.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I hope we can go back once the problem is fixed.

But I also think it is important to have a workaround to keep the discussions going. Otherwise people will tend to stop participating and not come back.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010

Yes, I love the old blog software in many ways. Conceivably, it's possible to make WordPress do all of that, but I don't think so (particularly the math support).

Good luck fixing it, Jacuqes!

• CommentRowNumber7.

I think that the validation step on the old forum was a complete waste of time. There should be a way for plaintext coments to be placed without validation. That is, until a dollar sign tag appears, the submit post button is enabled without previewing.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    I'm a pretty busy guy but I'm not too worried about the extra second spent on that validation step. In fact, if I were that worried about wasting time, I wouldn't have posted this comment.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Harry, couldn't you just regard the extra few seconds of validation as another convenient way to procrastinate doing your homework? (-:O

• CommentRowNumber10.

I don't mind the validation when it's a few seconds; I only mind when it's a few minutes. (^_^)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Patience \propto Age?? :)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    Imagine the time when a webpage took thirty seconds or more to load, and minutes if it was picture-heavy! How did we survive? ;)
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorEric

No kidding :)

• CommentRowNumber14.

I instructed Netscape to not download images by default. It was the only way to surf.

I still usually surf with Javascript off, although that's not as important as it used to be.

• CommentRowNumber15.

@Toby: No love for lynx?