Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2018

Created a page for the poly-morphisms of Mochizuki. For a while I laboured under a misconception as to what they are, and I suspect so did others, despite the definition being deceptively simple. To put the construction in perspective, I generalised the definition to take as input a VV-category CC and a lax monoidal endofunctor of CC, rather than just V=SetV=Set and the endofunctor the (covariant) power set functor.

Taylor Dupuy is interested in a model theoretic view of how can think of interpretations of the categories resulting from this construction, we are discussing this privately.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Something looks a bit odd. Do you want PP to be a lax monoidal functor VVV \to V? That way you can apply PP to hom-objects valued in VV.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Dec 17th 2018)

Fixed error as pointed out by Todd: s/CCC \to C/VVV \to V/.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.

Yes, thanks for picking that up. Stupidly, I’ve been thinking for ages that poly-morphisms are somehow morphisms given by an equivalence class of morphisms of the original category, and so really just a morphism in a quotient category. This was what made Mochizuki’s “full poly-morphisms” so odd: they are the arrows in C polyC^{poly} given by the whole set of arrows between a fixed source and target. Mochizuki’s description is, technically, flawless, but he nowhere actually specifies that he’s making a new category, with such and such properties. And he does little to dispel the confusion when Scholze and Stix take a representative in an equivalence class and use that in their simplified picture.

1. Nice! Just an observation that this notion of polymorphism is not far from the notion of a hyperstructure.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

In the general case of a lax monoidal functor, I don’t think the terminology “poly-morphism” is appropriate. I would just call that category P (C)P_\bullet(C), of course it’s a special case of the fact that lax monoidal functors induce operations between enriched category theories.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Yes, it’s true, but in highlighting this special case I hoped to end some mystique around the concept. Scholze-Stix for instance, couldn’t be convinced over the course of a week as to their utility. The original source offers no help. There’s more I plan to put in.

I (or someone else) can change the notation if the current one is really too terrible.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018

What about making a separate page about the general P (C)P_\bullet (C) construction (if we don’t have one already), and just referring to it from the poly-morphism page?

• CommentRowNumber9.

That’s probably a better idea.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Not sure what that other page should be called though. “induced enriched category”? “pushforward of an enriched category”?

• CommentRowNumber11.

Induced enriched category sounds good

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Base-changed category?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2018
    • (edited Dec 21st 2018)

It’s called “change of base” in Emily Riehl’s Categorical Homotopy Theory in Lemma 3.4.3.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

… and that’s also what it’s called at enriched category in the section Change of enriching category

• CommentRowNumber15.

Our page base change is just about pullback…

• CommentRowNumber16.

“Change of enrichment base”? And “change of base” when the context is clear?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018

The beginning of

• Geoff Cruttwell, chapter 4 of Normed spaces and the Change of Base for Enriched Categories, 2014 (pdf)

suggests that using “change of base” here is due to Eilenberg-Kelly’s “Closed categories”. But I can’t check while away from the institute, since it’s behind a paywall and “libgen.io‘ is momentarily unavailable again.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to change of enriching category.

Also slightly adjusted the definition clause to make it clearer that the induced enriched structure is not something one just checks, but that one needs to define first.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I took the liberty of editing the entry a bit more.

The very good point David is making is that Mochizuki’s “poly-morphisms” are a special case of the general and well-known concept of change of enriching base – but this good point is being diluted if one renames the general concept by this special case. So I tried to edit to make the situation more explicit.

Also I changed the wording in the References-section from claiming that Mochizuki “introduced” poly-morphisms from saying he “considers” them, since the point of the whole entry now is to explain that Mochizuki has really been re-discovering here a concept that has been well known.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

To amplify this further, we should add other references that consider enrichment in power sets. I think these are plentiful. But for the moment I am out of time now.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan

Is there a reason we talk about base? Why not something shorter like “change of enrichment”?

• CommentRowNumber22.

Offhand I can’t think of any other uses of the powerset functor as a change of enriching category.

I suspect the original intent was that “base” by itself is even shorter than “enrichment”.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to

• Alveen Chand, Ittay Weiss, An ordered framework for partial multivalued functors, Computer Science and Engineering (APWC on CSE), 2015 2nd Asia-Pacific World Congress on. IEEE, 2015 (arXiv:1511.00746)

which discusses essentially this construction, for the case of enrichment in posets and considering also powersets of objects.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2020

Currently this entry attributes, in the References-section, its content as follows:

The above construction for enrichment in plain sets is considered (without the above category-theoretic formulation) in:

(Where I just added the two copies of “above” and the hyperlink. in order to clarify what this sentence is saying.)

But is this accurate? Is it true that it’s clear that the formulation given on this page is implicit in SM’s work, and that this entry did nothing but spell out the evident formalization?

From discussion elsewhere I am getting the impression that this is putting words in SM’s mouth for which there is no evidence that he would agree with or even recognize.

If this is the case, I suggest the entry should trade its politeness for clarity and instead say something as follows:

The above definition was motivated as an attempt to make precise sense of the informal notion of “poly-isomorphism” introduced in (IUT…). It may or may not agree with what (IUT) has in mind.

?

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2020

I suggest the entry should trade its politeness for clarity and instead say something as follows:

I concur.