Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-categories 2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-theory cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration integration-theory k-theory kan lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic manifolds mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories nonassociative noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory string string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2019

Add a note about “Daniel’s answer” to the semantics-structure question. The discussion on this page should really be merged into the main text and archived at the forum.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I was just wondering yesterday when the Kleisli and Eilenberg-MacLane catgories coincide. Is the answer here the best one can say, where what you call “cosemantics” earlier coincides with semantics?

• CommentRowNumber3.

I don’t know any better condition.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019

Added discussion to main body of page as suggested by Mike, archived discussion at nForum page.

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAlec Rhea
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019
    I merged the contents of the discussion into the main body of the page -- I am not sure if this is where you meant for the conversation to be archived, but for posterity I'm copy-pasting it here.

## Discussion

John Baez: We read above: "One can turn monads into adjunctions and adjunctions into monads, but one doesn\'t always return where one started." This suggests that there is something like an _adjunction_ between monads and adjunctions! What's the precise story?

I imagine something like this: there's a functor (or 2-functor)

$$ [adjunctions] \to [monads] $$

and this has left and right adjoints (or 2-adjoints)

$$ Kleisli : [monads] \to [adjunctions] $$

$$ Eilenberg Moore: [monads] \to [adjunctions] $$

As evidence, note that the Kleisli category gives the initial object among adjunctions that give rise to a specified monad, while the Eilenberg-Moore category gives the terminal one. See the [Wikipedia article](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_%28category_theory%29#Monads_and_adjunctions).

Zoran Škoda: the best-well-known article on monads, R. Street, _Formal theory of monads_, JPAA 2, 149--168, 1972, has the basic fact that Eilenberg-Moore construction as a correspondence from monads to categories, extends to a 2-functor which is right 2-adjoint to the trivial monad 2-functor and the left adjoint is the underlying 2-functor (forgetting actions). Now you are trying to view EM construction as an adjoint to adjunctions to monads correspondence. First of all, I could imagine several different 2-categories of adjunctions, hence several different questions in the game (and monads make 2-category in more than one way, but with lessvariety than adjunctions). But there are better people to ask about this...

Mike Shulman: This adjunction does exist (although you sometimes have to be careful about size issues) and is called the **semantics-structure adjunction**. The EM-category functor $Mnd(C) \to RAdj/C$ is called the "semantics" functor (here $RAdj/C$ is the subcategory of $Cat/C$ consisting of the right adjoints) and its left adjoint (the monad underlying an adjunction) is called the "structure" functor. In fact, the structure functor is defined on a larger subcategory of $Cat/C$, namely those functors $g:A\to C$ such that $Ran_g g$ exists (if $g$ has a left adjoint $f$ then $Ran_g g$ always exists and is equal to $g f$). In this case $Ran_g g$ is the image of $g$ under "structure", also called its *codensity monad*. Presumably by duality, "structure" also has a left adjoint "cosemantics" given by the Kleisli construction. The semantics-structure adjunction can be found in Chapter II of Dubuc's "Kan Extensions in Enriched Category Theory" and also in section 2 of "The Formal Theory of Monads".

Emily Riehl: I'm interrupting Mike to comment on duality. The Kleisli construction is really a functor $Mnd(C)^{op} \to C/LAdj$. A monad map $(C,S) \to (C,T)$ consists of a 2-cell $T \Rightarrow S$ satisfying conditions. This defines a map of Kleisli categories $C_T \to C_S$ that commutes with the left adjoints but not with the right adjoints (that apply the monads to objects to get back to $C$).

I didn't check all the details but it does seem to be the case that "structure" and "cosemantics" are mutual left adjoints, with adjunct maps defined in exactly the way you'd expect.

Mike Shulman: If anyone can give a nice conceptual explanation of the terms "semantics" and "structure" in this context, Daniel Schaeppi is currently writing a paper which could benefit from such an explanation. I've never found anyone who really explains the words (nor is it entirely clear who pioneered their use in this context---Dubuc perhaps?) It makes sense to me that the E-M category can be called the "semantics" of a monad, but my intuition for "structure" is fuzzier, except that of course any monad can be regarded as a notion of structure with which one can equip objects. But why is that "the" structure associated to an adjunction?

Mike Shulman: In case anyone is following this, Daniel has come up with what seems to be the right answer to this question; I'm hoping that eventually he will write about it here.

Aron Fischer: I'm interested in this too. Who is Daniel? or rather: Hi Daniel! can you write up your answer please? ;)

Mike Shulman: The important parts of this discussion should be merged into the page, and the discussion archived at the nForum. But I don't have time to do that right now, so I'll just record the fact that Daniel's answer appeared in [Tannaka duality for comonoids in cosmoi](https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.0977), at the beginning of section 5 (quoted in full [here](https://mathoverflow.net/a/320835/49)).
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019

Made better link for the recent MO question.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019

Alec: thanks! Yes, that’s what I meant.

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)