Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2019
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2019)

an entry to glorify the combination

I 8148(p 2(12p 1) 2) I_8 \;\coloneqq\; \tfrac{1}{48} \Big( p_2 \;-\; \big( \tfrac{1}{2} p_1\big)^2 \Big)

seriously, I’ll need to refer to this from various other entries, so it’s useful to have a link

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2019

made a note on “Inflow to M5-brane anomaly” (here). This is a bit of a story. Should copy this to M5-brane, eventually.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2019
    • (edited Nov 10th 2019)

added the statement of I 8I_8 appearing as the O( 6)O(\ell^6) higher curvature correction to 11d supergravity (here):

A systematic analysis of the possible supersymmetric higher curvature corrections of D=11 supergravity makes the I 8I_8 appear as the higher curvature correction at order 6\ell^6, where \ell is the Planck length in 11d (Souères-Tsimpis 17, Section 4).

At this order, the equation of motion for the supergravity C-field flux G 4G_4 and its dual G 7G_7 is (Souères-Tsimpis 17, (4.3))

dG 7()=12G 4()G 4()+ 6I 8, d G_7(\ell) \;=\; -\tfrac{1}{2} G_4(\ell) \wedge G_4(\ell) + \ell^6 I_8 \,,

where the flux forms themselves appear in their higher order corrected form as power series in the Planck length

G 4()=G 4+ 6G 4 (1)+ G_4(\ell) \;=\; G_4 + \ell^6 G_4^{(1)} + \cdots G 7()=G 7+ 6G 7 (1)+ G_7(\ell) \;=\; G_7 + \ell^6 G_7^{(1)} + \cdots

(Souères-Tsimpis 17, (4.4))

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Nov 10th 2019)

I think what was

dG 7()=12G 4()(G 4()12p 1(R))+ 6I 8(R) d G_7(\ell) \;=\; -\tfrac{1}{2} G_4(\ell) \wedge \big( G_4(\ell) - \tfrac{1}{2} p_1(R) \big) + \ell^6 I_8(R)

should be

dG 7()=12G 4()(G 4()2 312p 1(R))+ 6I 8(R) d G_7(\ell) \;=\; -\tfrac{1}{2} G_4(\ell) \wedge \big( G_4(\ell) - 2\ell^3 \tfrac{1}{2} p_1(R) \big) + \ell^6 I_8(R)

as the 3\ell^3 correction term looks like it should be, based on the text, 3G 4()12p 1(R)\ell^3 G_4(\ell) \wedge \tfrac{1}{2} p_1(R), not 12G 4()12p 1(R)\tfrac{1}{2}G_4(\ell)\wedge \tfrac{1}{2}p_1(R). Is this right?

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 10th 2019)

Yeah, but it’s more complicated:

They write tr(R 2)tr(R^2) instead of p 1p_1. The conversion factor for thee two should be 1/4π 21/4\pi^2, but of course it depends on conventions. Worse, when deriving the 6\ell^6-correction, they ignore the 3\ell^3-correction but then “absorb a numerical factor” in 6\ell^6 (below (4.3)). So at this point the two \ell-s in the two prefactors are not even the same anymore.

So what I did in the entry was that I took for the 3\ell^3-term the prefactor that I know from other reasons to be there. Then the 6\ell^6 term is correct for some rescaling of \ell. Of course there should really be a comment on that step in the entry.

And it would be good to sort out the actual relative factor between these two correction terms. If you are interested in digging into this, please let me know.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2019

Sure, I’d be interested to have a look. Teaching is over, so have a bit more time now.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v15, current