Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2019

Started a page to collect links to lists of journals

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2019
    • (edited Jul 26th 2019)

I deleted Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. from the second list because Hyland is no longer an editor. I added three journals.

It appears that apart from two computer science journals, the second list is a subset of the first.

Perhaps this is not too surprising because “algebraic topology” also includes “homotopy theory” in the first list.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Jul 26th 2019)

Yes, it’s not a fun job combing through many journals and trying to think if the editors are category theorists or not. I should add http://cgasa.sbu.ac.ir/ to this list, for the sake of completeness. (Edit have now done so)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Shame on you David, you did not include probably the oldist one namely the Cahiers! I have put it in … near the start.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Gah, why didn’t I see that! :-( It was an old list that I hadn’t touched for a long time.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Excuses, excuses. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Should the list of journals publishing category theory be located on a private web? Wouldn’t the nLab itself be a more appropriate venue?

• CommentRowNumber8.

Added the AMS list.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2019

I don’t think having a category theorist as an editor is a necessary condition for a journal to publish category theory. In particular, I would keep MPCPS on a list of category theory journals.

David, any objections to moving the CT journals list to the main nLab?

• CommentRowNumber10.

Not at all, I think it’s better than people needing to edit a page on my web.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Re #9:

In particular, I would keep MPCPS on a list of category theory journals.

But how is MPCPS any different from any other general-purpose (i.e., nonspecialized) mathematics journal? Is there any reason to assume that with its current editorial board (mostly analysts) MPCPS is any more likely to publish a category theory paper than any other general-purpose journal?

In theory, general-purpose journals should publish papers in all areas of mathematics, but in practice, only papers interesting to editors end up published more often than not. Clark Barwick observed as much in his manifesto (sadly, now removed from his website, but still available at https://web.archive.org/web/20190119133802/https://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~cbarwick/papers/future.pdf).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • (edited Jul 28th 2019)

I just had a quick google at their current editorial board and I don’t think “mostly analysts” is anywhere near accurate. I saw some algebraic and differential geometers, geometric group theorists, etc., who I would expect to at least be more open to category theory than the average analyst. I do agree that the lack of a category theorist brings it down a notch. But I would have assumed, although I guess I don’t really know, that the history of what papers and subjects the journal has published in the past also counts for something.

Do you know when Hyland left? If it was some time ago we could look at the publication history to see if there was a change.

• CommentRowNumber13.

We could split the list into “journals currently having a category theorist on the editorial board” and “journals that have at least in the past published category theory papers”.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Is there someone on the editorial board of “Annals of K-Theory” that you would call a category theorist? No one jumped out at me.

• CommentRowNumber15.

I would not call Balmer, Neeman, or Blumberg category theorists, and there are some other names on the list I’m not sure about. Which isn’t to say that they aren’t relevant editors who might be interested in publishing category theory papers, especially papers that are related to their actual research areas; it’s only to make the same point from #9 that an editor doesn’t have to be a category theorist to publish category theory papers.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2019

Hyland left before I submitted something there (ultimately unsuccessful) in August 2014, so it’s been a while. I had to send the paper to Ben Green, which I can’t say was entirely propitious, though I was treated well.

• CommentRowNumber17.

Re #13: I’d propose three categories: journals specializing in category theory; general-purpose journals with category theorists as editors; general-purpose journals that publish(ed) category theory (in the past).

• CommentRowNumber18.

@Dmitri

sounds reasonable.

• CommentRowNumber19.

If Hyland’s been gone since 2014, then I can offer as evidence of subsequent success at MPCPS this paper, which is not exactly pure category theory, but certainly quite categorical in flavor.

My #13 was written without realizing that the list already includes a column for “relevant editors”. Given that, do we really need to also divide into distinct groups, rather than just recording that bit by the emptiness or nonemptiness of that column?

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • (edited Jul 29th 2019)

I did not split the table, but simply reordered the list so that journals specializing in category theory come first.