Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    As per someone's suggestion, I am going to do what Zoran does and have one, continuously running forum topic with my latest changes.

My latest change: added response to Zoran's query at quantum mechanics.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I missed whose suggestion that was. I don't see what the advantage is; I like it better when people use descriptive topic titles for various edits. That way if one particular edit sparks a discussion, then it is easy to see by looking at the title of the discussion what it is about.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I think the best is the compromise. There are many entries (like those in category people) which are NOT expected to spur a discussion. So it is good not to open too many discussions to flood the table and to make other important recent discussions harder to find or spot. But whenever there is an improtant new theme I myself do open a new discussion.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    @Mike: I suggested either doing this or posting descriptive topic titles, since Ian was posting topics titled things like "a question" or "a recent edit".
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I think we should have for each single nLab entry a corresponding thread here with the same title. This way it will always be clear where the discussion, past and present, on a given entry is to be found.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I think we should have for each single nLab entry a corresponding thread here with the same title. This way it will always be clear where the discussion, past and present, on a given entry is to be found.

I agree and I would add that the nLab page should have a link back to the discussion here.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don't think the nlab page needs to link back here except perhaps temporarily during a discussion; whatever conclusions we reach here should be incorporated into the page itself. The nlab should be a standalone resource without needing to delve into our backroom discussions here. (-:

I am not bothered about there being too many topics, and in general I agree with Urs, although if there are many topic changes on the same general subject (including a lot of category:person entries) I think it could make sense to mention them on the same topic thread. But I would still prefer giving that thread a more descriptive title such as "new category:person pages" or "new pages about quantum mechanics." Calling the thread "new pages made by so-and-so" doesn't give me any idea what it contains.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote>I think we should have for each single nLab entry a corresponding thread here with the same title. This way it will always be clear where the discussion, past and present, on a given entry is to be found.</blockquote><br/><br/>Agreed. This would be so much less confusing. </div>
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Sometimes indeed some of the beautiful efforts in the nforum discussions do not make into the nlab nor personal nlabs, and in highly contentful cases it would be good to have backpointers from nlab. But in most of cases it would be of no use and just burden to do accurately. So it has no chance as a rule.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Incidentally, I'm hoping that when we shift over to MathML here that it'll be easier to take stuff from the nForum to the nLab since a certain amount of just 'cut-and-pasting' will work. I'm also planning to figure out an easy way to search for links to entries in the nLab, so that there's some simple easy-to-remember format: 'nForum/nlab/pagename' or something that finds all discussions that reference that page.