Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2019

I feel that, while the concept of algebra over a monad is of course an instance of the more general module over a monad, it could benefit from having its own dedicated page, with motivation from other fields and dedicated examples.

If I get a green light from enough people here, I can create the page myself (and replace the redirection by links both ways).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 29th 2019)

Currently, the point of view of the entry is that “algebra for a monad” is synonymous with “module over a monad” at least or especially for monads in Cat, since in this case their modules literally are algebras in the sense of universal algebra.

I suppose what you are after is the concept of monoid objects in categories of modules over a monad?

I’d think this should definitely be on a page of its own, and then there ought to be a paragraph alerting the reader of the trouble with the terminology.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I suspect that Paolo’s point was instead to have a separate page for algebras in Cat with domain 1, so that people can read about those without having to think about bicategories. I think that’s a good idea.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Yes, I meant exactly what Mike has said.

(Of course, what Urs has said should have a page too.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

I’ll proceed in the next days.