Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Fixed broken link to David Spivak’s thesis, (was: http://math.berkeley.edu/~dspivak/thesis2.pdf)

Anonymous

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2021

hereby moving the following old discussion out of the entry to here:

— begin forwarded discussion —

+– {: .query} David Roberts: For those generalised smooth spaces which give rise to a topological space (e.g. a diffeological space), is the topology known to be locally contractible, or locally nice at all?

Andrew: That’s actually a question I’d quite like to study here. All of the definitions of “generalised smooth space” (that have underlying sets) induce a topology on that underlying set. Some have it built in (Chen’s early definitions, for example, and Smith spaces and differentiable modules) but even if it is not there you can induce it from the plots or functions. They are not, in general, going to be locally contractible but there are some pathologies that are ruled out.

David R: Clearly the philosophy behind smooth spaces means we have to keep what we get, and not fuss about how ugly the spaces might be. What interests me is what the fundamental group(oid) is going to look like. Will it be a profinite group? A pro-group? A smooth group? I suppose one could start with the smooth space of loops, and form the smooth quotient space under the relation of homotopy - but what does it look like? =–

— end forwarded discussion —

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 26th 2021)

Incidentally, the answer to David R.’s old question above is: The underlying D-topology of diffeological spaces gives precisely the D-topological spaces aka Δ\Delta-generated topological spaces. This is discussed and referenced here.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also moving the following old discussion out of the entry:

\,

— begin forwarded discussion —

+– {: .query} I subtracted 2020 from the xx-coordinates on the names in the diagram so that they would stay in the boxes on my screen, but I'm not sure if this is right; the original looks fine to me as a free-standing diagram, so I don't know why it looks wrong here.

Anyway, if anybody finds that this version is worse than the previous one, then change it back to the previous one and chalk it up to an error in my browser. —Toby

Thanks, Toby. I was just heading over to see if I could fix it myself but you beat me to it. There seem to be a few subtleties over how Instiki imports SVG and I’m learning them by trial and error (and by bugging Jacques!). The picture in the Sandbox now looks right and, thanks to you, so does this one. Text boxes seems to be the trickiest to get right when doing TikZ-to-SVG conversion. —Andrew

It it helps any, I think that the problem was that the alphabetic text (but not the dates) began where it ought to have been centred. —Toby =–

— end forwarded discussion —

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2023

Updated references with broken links and also details of papers now published

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Aug 30th 2023)

Replaced

• Matthias Kreck, Stratifolds and differential algebraic topology (pdf)

which has a broken link and I cannot find the pdf anywhere (eg on the Wayback Machine), with

• Matthias Kreck, Differential Algebraic Topology: From Stratifolds to Exotic Spheres, Graduate Studies in Mathematics Volume 110, AMS (2010) (publisher page), (author pdf)

The filenames seem to me to indicate that the former broken pdf link (kreck-DA24_08_07.pdf) is probably a preliminary version of the published book (kreck-DA.pdf).

Also gave publication details for Diffeology.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

There’s a broken include link that I haven’t fixed. Not sure how to deal with that right now.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have replaced the broken SVG diagram by a scan of the original pdf version (now here)

diff, v33, current