Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

As Zoran pointed out elsewhere, we need to possibly have a set of common tags that have predetermined meanings. How about these for starters:

• meta - discussion about the forum (redundant if categories are used properly)
    • short - for short announcements of the form ’created page blah
    • detailed - for extensive (initial) posts
    • question - obvious
    • exposition - obvious
    • research - for things like the discussion between Urs, Domenico and others on cobordisms etc
    • announcement - obvious (for stuff Andrew might like to tell us about technical upgrades etc)

This is just a start, others can suggest more. Of course, these can be used in combination, like ’short’+’question’ or ’detailed’+’announcement’ or even ’detailed’+’research’+’exposition’+’question’

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

It looks not that much different from the categories/navigation.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    • (edited Apr 29th 2010)
    But this way you can look at a new thread, say in latest changes, and see whether you want to look at it. The title may be '[page]', and with a 'short' tag, you know that you have all you need from the title, and don't have to read it. Or the long questions that you might want to save for later can be identified without having to load up the page. On fast internet, I suppose it doesn't matter, but a lot of you guys seem to use the lab/forum on the go, on trains, weak internet signals and so on, and there it helps. I find it fustrating at work (with slow internet) to have to open every brand new thread to see what or how much content is there, or even (sometimes) what it is even going to be about.

I agree that there is some overlap with categories, but I think it helps to fine-grain the description, without adding lots of silly new categories.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

I should say that when I added this feature, I had little idea of what it would be used for, but it felt that if someone doesn’t like it then it won’t get in the way (I can even design a version of the page with all tag-related information supressed so the only effect of it being there is a small overhead on page-load). So it’s worth doing some experimenting to see what works best.

My hope with this, and with some of the similar features of the nForum (including the categories, but also the “notification”, the RSS feeds, and stuff like that) is to help people find the information/discussions that they want without having to wade through all the rubbish that clutters up the place!

In that respect, it’s important that those who figure out a way to do this using whatever tool it is, share this information. And that those who don’t find it difficult to find what they want (for example, if they happen to be sitting on top of the server!) remember that the purpose of this place is to aid communication and so if doing a little extra (such as choosing sensible tags) can help a lot, then it’s worth doing.