Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorfbgonzaga
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2020
    • (edited Dec 7th 2020)
    Hello, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here. If not, I apologize in advance.

My name is Flavio, and I represent SearchOnMath (searchonmath.com), a search engine designed especially for mathematical content. This means that SearchOnMath is able to search for mathematical formulas and/or text.

The purpose of my message is to inform you that our latest version includes the nLab content pages. To submit a query to be searched only on nLab pages, just click on "Limit Search Domain" button, placed at our start page, and choose 'nLab'.

Finally, formulas must be written in TeX (LaTeX) and placed between the ${ }$ delimiters, as in:

Einstein's formula, ${E = mc^2}$, revolutionized physics.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Flavio
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

How does one allow for arbitrary variables in formulas?

For example, what should I enter if I want to see all matches for f_!, g_!, h_!, etc., with any letter before the shriek?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorfbgonzaga
    Hi Dmitri, thanks for your message.

When a user submits a query, SearchOnMath will better rank results that are closer to the submitted expression (literally).

However, SearchOnMath implements also a generalization mechanism, which can automatically replace symbols, constants, and things like that. For example, 'x' can be replaced by 'y', 'alpha'... and so on.

You can check this mechanism in this example:

https://www.searchonmath.com/result?query=%24%7B+P%28B%29+%3D+%5Csum_k+P%28A_k+%5Ccap+B%29+%7D%24&page=1

P(B) is replaced by P(A) in the first result.
    P(B) is replaced by P(E) in the fourth result.
    B is replaced by F_i in the fourth result...
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I can no longer search anything since it now says

Expired session / Queries limit reached

Due to security issues, SearchOnMath limits different IPs up to 10 queries per day.

If you don’t have an account, please sign up and receive a bonus of 100 queries. It is fast, easy and free.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorfbgonzaga
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2020
    Hi Dmitri,

sorry about that message. Unfortunately SearchOnMath was receiving a lot of access from bots recently, which lead us to limit the number of queries per IP per day.

We have just increased the limit from 10 to 100 queries (per IP per day). You should not see this message anymore. :)

For systems that demand even more queries, an alternative is to use our RESTful API.