Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2021

Created page. Probably some of the material at transfinite construction of free algebras ought to be moved here, but I’m too lazy to do it right now.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2023

Link to pointed endofunctor and mention the dual.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Add a reference.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added a warning that “pointed endofunctors” are not in general pointed objects in the category of endofunctors

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

While they’re not pointed objects in the sense of the current content of pointed object, I’d argue that’s because the definition of pointed object is overly restrictive as it stands. I think the definition on that page ought to be changed (so that a pointing is with respect to a category with a distinguished object). However, it’s a large page, and this seems a slightly daunting task.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Please see how you feel about the remark that I added a pointed endo-functor: here, which means to deal with this.

I think if we rename anything, then it’s “pointed endofunctor” that would deserve to be called something like “unital endofunctor”, instead.

(You might think that there is no “unitality” absent a multiplication, but since one also speaks of algebras over an endofunctor absent of multiplication, it should be just fine.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

We also have the term “pointed abelian group”, referring to abelian groups equipped with an extra element, A\mathbb{Z} \to A.

The term “pointed endofunctor” is awfully well-established. I think varkor has a point (and I’ve been making related comments in the past few minutes, before seeing his). It would be good to think about this.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

I think if we rename anything, then it’s “pointed endofunctor” that would deserve to be called something like “unital endofunctor”, instead.

The term “pointed object” has been used in the literature in the greater generality of objects with a morphism from the unit in a monoidal category (see here, for instance). The terminology I’m suggesting is only a minor generalisation of this usage, and fits with the general principle of the microcosm principle. For what it’s worth, I think “unital objects” rather than “pointed objects” would also be reasonable terminology (and perhaps more consistent terminology) , but “pointed” appears to be much more common in the literature. (I definitely think we ought to avoid having “unital” and “pointed” mean different things.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Not to get distracted too much by trivialities, of course no harm is done by adding commentary about generalization to “pointed object” and then maybe corresponding commentary to coslice category. Please go ahead.

But looking at

(see here, for instance)

I find that they don’t say “pointed object” but “MM-pointed object”.