Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010

Stubby start to topological topos. Will be adding material by and by.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Could we call this something else? Johnstone’s article was just called “on A topological topos”; I think there could be many different toposes that deserve to be thought of as “topological” for various reasons. Johnstone remarked slightly tongue-in-cheek that the objects of this topos might be called “consequential spaces,” so if we wanted to go with that we could write about them on a page called consequential space. Or we could think of another name.

• CommentRowNumber3.

There could be, but there isn’t. :-) Seriously: if someone wanted to look this up or google this, they’d type “topological topos”, wouldn’t they? At least that’s what I tried. I doubt they would try consequential space.

I could go along with something like “Johnstone’s topological topos”.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010

What about the topos of sheaves on some small subcategory of Top, or the topos of sheaves on a category of (ultra)filters? In the article Johnstone lists a few other contenders like that. I’ve never heard anyone refer to this as “the topological topos.” And that name isn’t really correct anyway; it’s not the topos that’s topological, its the objects of the topos.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited May 25th 2010)

Okay, let’s focus less on my first sentence of #3 (which seems to be leading to an argument I didn’t intend), and more on what might be the most useful title.

You’ll notice I didn’t say “the topological topos”. On the other hand, despite your last sentence, it was Johnstone’s phrase, not mine. So, what say you to “Johnstone’s topological topos”? I’m thinking of the person trying to find out what this thing is that’s being referred to in, for example, the page on subsequential space.

Edit: and it might not be just from reading that page on the nLab – it could be some poor slob like me who’s heard of the darned thing, googles it, and comes up with little except bibliographic references and maybe a link to the paper for a price. I wanted to give it a title which is more likely to attract hits.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Okay, fair enough. I can certainly go along with “Johnstone’s topological topos.”

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016

I added to Johnstone’s topological topos a proof that the Cauchy real numbers object therein also has the usual topology. (Johnstone’s paper only discusses the Dedekind real numbers.) It would be nice to have a more abstract proof — e.g. does this topos possess some general property that is sufficient for the Cauchy and Dedekind to coincide? — but I can’t think of one.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016

Nice. Could you include a reference that it does not support countable choice?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2016

Hmm… no, I don’t think I could. Actually I’m not completely sure, but my instinct is that it doesn’t. (Though it does satisfy “crisp countable choice”, i.e. \mathbb{N} is externally projective.)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2016

Fourman - continuous truth II shows that the gross topos of sheaves over separable locales has local choice. Both this gross topos and Johnstone’s topological topos are ways to cut down the Giraud gross topos. It would be nice to understand what breaks countable choice in Johnstone’s topos.

• CommentRowNumber11.

What is “local choice”?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

It’s defined in Continuous truth I below Prop 4.3. Locally, we have a choice function, i.e. there is an open cover U_i on which we can define a choice function on each U_i.

This does not seem enough to derive countable choice. However, it is suggested that CAC holds in this model. I am surprised it is not clearly stated. Perhaps, I am overlooking something.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2016

A similar model is described by van der Hoeven, Moerdijk - sheaf models for choice sequences. Countable choice holds in this topos (2.2.6) and the real number object is computed on p81. The topological monoid of endomorphism of Baire space seems to be a topological site as in continuous truth II, but I haven’t checked it formally yet. Similarly, for Johnstone’s monoid of endomorphisms on N N_\infty. I expect this to be folklore.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016

After some conversation with Martin and trying to build a counterexample, I’m no longer sure that the topological topos fails countable choice. In fact, here is an argument claiming that it satisfies countable choice. Please poke a hole in it.

We have to show that \mathbb{N} is internally projective, i.e. that dependent product along A×AA \times \mathbb{N} \to A preserves epis. Since \mathbb{N} is a countable coproduct of copies of 1, A×A \times \mathbb{N} is a countable coproduct of copies of AA, which means that this dependent product can be identified with the countably infinite product functor on the slice category E/AE/A.

Now, Johnstone’s explicit description of the Grothendieck topology defining this topos implies that for a map f:BAf:B \to A to be epi means that (1) it is surjective on points and (2) for any convergent sequence (a n)a (a_n) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty in AA, and any infinite subsequence n kn_k, there is a further subsequence m lm_l and a convergent sequence (b l)b (b_l) \rightsquigarrow b_\infty in BB that maps via ff to (a m l)a (a_{m_l}) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty.

Thus, suppose we have epis f i:B iAf_i : B_i \to A for natural numbers ii; we want to show that g:PAg : P \to A is epi, where PP is the pullback of all the B iB_i’s over AA. It’s certainly surjective on points. Let (a n)a (a_n) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty be a convergent sequence in AA, and n kn_k an infinite subsequence. Since f 0f_0 is epi, there is a subsequence m k 0m^0_k of n kn_k and a convergent sequence (b k 0)b 0(b^0_k) \rightsquigarrow b^0_\infty mapping via f 0f_0 to (a m k 0)a (a_{m^0_k}) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty. Now since f 1f_1 is epi, there is a subsequence m k 1m^1_k of m k 0m^0_k and a convergent sequence (b k 1)b 1(b^1_k) \rightsquigarrow b^1_\infty mapping via f 1f_1 to (a m k 1)a (a_{m^1_k}) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty. And so on. (Of course, in choosing particular such subsequences m k im^i_k we are using countable/dependent choice in Set.) Now define p k=m k kp_k = m^k_k, and a sequence c kc_k in the pullback PP by (c k) i=b p k i(c_k)_i = b^i_{p_k}. Since convergence in PP is defined in each factor, (c k)c (c_k) \rightsquigarrow c_\infty where (c ) i=b i(c_\infty)_i = b^i_\infty, and it maps via g:PAg : P \to A to (a p k)a (a_{p_k}) \rightsquigarrow a_\infty, with p kp_k a subsequence of the given n kn_k. Thus, gg is also epi.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Also, a (un?)related question. In Johnstone’s paper he cites an abstract by Isbell as showing that the pair of maps x12xx\mapsto \frac{1}{2} x and x12(x+1)x\mapsto \frac{1}{2}(x+1) are not universally effective-epimorphic in the monoid of continuous endomorphisms of the topological unit interval, and claims that this is related to the fact that the interval is locally connected. Can anyone reproduce (or know a citation for) such a proof? I’m guessing it has something to do with pulling back along some continuous map that behaves very badly near 12\frac{1}{2}, but I haven’t been able to get any further, or get any intuition for what it has to do with local connectedness.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

Moerdijk-Reyes have some remarks about the failure of countable choice in the Euclidean topos. For them a topological topos is a topos of sheaves on a topological site.

This should connect with Johnstone’s topological topos, but I haven’t seen the details spelled out.

• CommentRowNumber17.

Interesting; they specifically say it is because of the “connectedness” of the euclidean site.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2016

I added a remark to topological topos that while LPO fails, LLPO holds.