Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2021

Created:

Definition

Denote by Emb nEmb_n the site of nn-dimensional smooth manifolds and open embeddings.

An (∞,1)-sheaf F:Emb n opTopF\colon Emb_n^op\to Top of topological spaces is microflexible if for any closed inclusion KKK\to K' of compact spaces, the induced map F(K)F(K)F(K')\to F(K) is a Serre microfibration.

An (∞,1)-sheaf F:Emb n opTopF\colon Emb_n^op\to Top of topological spaces is flexible if for any closed inclusion KKK\to K' of compact spaces, the induced map F(K)F(K)F(K')\to F(K) is a Serre fibration.

Gromov’s theorem

Given an open manifold MM, the inclusion of microflexible sheaves into flexible sheaves on the site Emb n/MEmb_n/M is an equivalence of (∞,1)-categories.

Related concepts

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

IS there a canonical reference to point to? I have added pointer to:

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also:

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.

Added:

The canonical reference is Section 2.2.1 of

(Why is the section title “Literature” instead of “References”? Is there a difference?)

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks.

Recently I noticed that some people read “References” as meaning “The above text relies on these” instead of the more encompassing “Here is various relevant and useful literature on the topic”. That made me think that the last section of an nnLab entry should maybe better be titled “Literature” than “References”. But maybe it’s not so important.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I have changed References to Reference and Literature in the entry on microbundles. Tht would cover both of the points made by Urs.

I recall lectures at the Liverpool singularity conference on Gromov’s thesis from 1970 (?) and reference to “microgibki” things. Is this the same concept? I could not find a reference and have mislaid my copy of his thesis. The lectures were by André Haefliger I think and are in the Springer Lecture notes volume of the conference. I do not have access to that volume.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Nov 6th 2021)

I note that Larry Siebenmann used the term ’micro-gibki’ in his article on Topological Manifolds in the ICM 1970 proceedings. That article may be relevant somewhere on this entry or on the related ones.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Микрогибкий translates as microflexible from the Russian, so it is the same notion.

• CommentRowNumber9.

That explains it.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2022

This page has a rendering bug, in the sentence

"the induced map F(K is a Serre fibration."

The source is correct. It appears that the apostrophe character is creating problems.

v6, current

1. I have now fixed this issue, thanks again for raising it.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2022

Added:

The original reference is

• M. L. Gromov, STABLE MAPPINGS OF FOLIATIONS INTO MANIFOLDS, Mathematics of the USSR-Izvestiya 3:4 (1969), 671-694. doi.

v5, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2022

In Revision 5, I added a reference to the original paper by Gromov.

I then edited the article again in order to fix a problem with superscripts.

What happened then is that in Revision 6 all changes made in Revision 5 were discarded!

2. Thank you for raising this, Dmitri. I made some tweaks to the cache which might have caused this, but have not been able to work on anything for several days for personal reasons, and have now resigned from my involvement in the nLab for reasons explained in the migration thread.