Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

In case anyone is interested, John Baez is live-blogging over at the n-Category Café right now. Bob Coecke is mixing quantum mechanics, category theory, and his favorite pasttime, beer (Bob actually applied for a grant from Duvel).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 1st 2010)

?

• CommentRowNumber3.

OK. Nothing says you have to read my posts, though. I simply thought it would be interesting to nLab folks. Sometimes I think you guys work too hard. ;)

As for the date, you are correct. It is apparently no longer live. My bad. I got it from Bob’s Facebook feed.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I simply thought it would be interesting

Well, it is interesting, or would/might have been. How about directions next time of how to tune in, for those not in the know? Or do you have to be a Facebook member?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

Or do you have to be a Facebook member?

Facebook (also SMS) is detrimental to our culture, and I refuse to use it (also SMS) out of righteous indignation.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’m not a member either (otherwise I wouldn’t have needed to ask), and I have resisted repeated requests to join. Seems like another time sink which I don’t need.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Facebook (also SMS) is detrimental to our culture

Unlike IRC :)

• CommentRowNumber8.

I’m not a member either (otherwise I wouldn’t have needed to ask), and I have resisted repeated requests to join. Seems like another time sink which I don’t need.

At least you’ve somehow managed to avoid getting sucked into MO! That’s pretty much the biggest timesink a mathematician can find =(.

• CommentRowNumber9.

My apologies for being 3 days late on this. I didn’t notice the date until Urs pointed it out to me.

For non-Facebookers, it just means I’m friends with Bob on Facebook and he posted this to his profile (which then notified all his friends). The trouble is that it appears like he just posted it this afternoon. However, Facebook is known to have kinks.

Personally, I simply use Facebook as a semi-replacement for e-mail and a nice way to keep in touch with family. The only game on it I use is Scrabble.

• CommentRowNumber10.

And yes, that means I went through it thinking it was live when, in fact, it was three days old…

• CommentRowNumber11.

Unlike IRC :)

The difference here is that you use IRC from home, and it’s all transient. There’s no need to “check” IRC when you’re out, because you’re not going to miss anything. Facebook is different because messages are stored on it until you delete them, and it’s used for conversing with people who you know in real life. We don’t go out to lunch with friends to catch up anymore, because we know exactly what they’re doing through the internet. SMS messaging is detrimental because it has encouraged a very annoying trend, where people text message one another while having conversations with other people. Such rudeness would not be tolerated if people talked to each other on the phone. So yes, unlike IRC, Facebook and SMS messaging increase the distance between people who know each other well, while IRC brings people with common interests and goals together who otherwise would never have met.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I actually do generally agree with Harry here. While I use Facebook, I’m not obsessive about it. I don’t have a smart phone and I don’t text regularly (I have a cell phone primarily for emergencies - almost no one has my number). The constant texting is really annoying - and phenomenally rude. We’ve become an increasingly rude species.