Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorgregprice
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2022
    When I look at https://ncatlab.org/nlab/history/Heyting+algebra and then follow the "diff" link for any of the latest handful of revisions, I get a "500 Server Error" page.

Specifically, I get the error with revision 51:
    https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/diff/Heyting+algebra/51
    or revision 52. (The very latest "diff" link, for 53, seems to actually take me to the edit page instead.) I get no error at revision 50:
    https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/diff/Heyting+algebra/50
    or any earlier revision I've tried.

I get a similar error at the "revision" page for 51 or later:
    https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/Heyting+algebra/51
    while things similarly work fine for 50 or earlier.

All of the last handful of revisions (49 onward) were made by me in the last 24 hours or so.

The actual page renders just fine as far as I can tell. I added a significant amount of material, but I didn't think I'd done anything particularly fancy.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorgregprice
    Looking closer at the "revision" page, I see it does render differently from the page itself: in particular, theorem/proof environments, labels, and refs come through as literal TeX, rather than getting interpreted. So perhaps there's some syntax I used that the history renderer not only can't interpret (like those) but chokes on, even though the normal page rendering handles it fine.

Perhaps the indentation in the numbered list? (That took some experimenting to get into a form that the normal page renderer handled in the intended way, rather than interpret the indentation as a code block.) Or the `\[` equation syntax? I hesitate to experiment, being not entirely sure what all the consequences of the error might be.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 16th 2022)

Yes, unfortunately the diff-fumctionality was severely broken some time ago: A different rendering engine is used for current pages than for pages in the page history.

I believe the technical team is aware of this, but that the attitude is not to fix this problem individually for the time being.

So you should use the page history as far as it may still be useful, and please just ignore it otherwise.

I hope that eventually we collect more donations and then have someone professional fix this and a host of other issues. But before we can look into that we have to migrate the server, which is still ongoing.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorgregprice
    OK, that works for me! Thanks for the reply (and all your hard work in general.)

I'd noticed that the diff pages often didn't really work correctly when nontrivial syntax was involved -- they'll show yellow error boxes in the middle of the diff at the affected spots -- but this was the first time I'd seen the whole page come back as just an error, so I figured I'd do as the error page requests and make a report here.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorgregprice

Reporting this caused me to see this discussion-category of the nForum for the first time, and I just went and read through the nLab migration to the cloud thread. That must have been a painful few months; my sympathies. I’m happy you eventually got it back running again like it was, and that it seems like the server is now in the hands of a team with a more collaborative approach and a more sensible, incremental plan.

For what it’s worth, my guess would be that you have a better chance of getting software issues of this sort fixed with in-kind donations of effort and expertise – the same way as the content of the nLab – than by getting donations enough to pay for the work. The key step for unlocking that possibility would be to develop a clear set of instructions for how an interested person can set up and run the nLab software on their own machine, in order to experiment with changes.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That’s what I used to think, too. But the technical board members tell me that the software the nLab is running on is – and further has been over time – so profoundly broken that no volunteer stands a chance of fixing it on the side. I can’t judge this, but we have been discussing this at some length, and that’s what they say. They tell me, if I recall correctly, that we need a professional software engineer devoting their full time to the job for something in between 2-6 months.

So that’s my plan for the future: First we wait for the migration to be done (which is underway, certainly the process has been started) then announce the migration to the public, as a first item that the existing donations allowed us to buy, then use the occasion of this little success to ask for further donations, and finally use these to hire a professional programmer to rewrite the nLab software.

Regarding installing the nLab on a private machine: Apparently that’s unfeasible, but I know the least about this. If you have IT expertise and are eager to help, I’d bring you in contact with the technical board members.