Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2022
    • (edited Aug 18th 2022 by Christian Sattler)

Meanwhile, Christian Sattler and Felix Cherubini (from the technical team) have installed a copy of the nLab+nForum system on our new server. The idea is to migrate to that server, but now first to stress-test the new installation, in order to discover remaining glitches and other issues.

For that purpose we are hereby kindly asking everyone interested to play with the new installation and see if anything seems off.

The idea is to stress-test all the functionality (e.g. typesetting, redirects, edit announcement, file upload, !include files – whatever you can think of). We already did such testing, but best to catch any remaining bugs before the new installation goes live.

If you join in the testing, please beware of these two points:

1. All nForum-passwords on the mock-up nForum have been set to “nforum2022”. Be careful not to use your real password when logging into the test-nforum at the above url. Because there is no https yet, any password you use will be sent in plain text.

2. No link in the mock-up installation should be directing to the real nLab – but please look out for this and report as a bug if it does happen nevertheless.

Thanks for everyone’s help with this! And a million thanks to Christian, Felix and the other members of the technical team for making it happen.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Great!

But clicking on

http://saunders2.andrew.cmu.edu:8008/nlab/show/topos

I get error message

500 Internal Server Error If you are the administrator of this website, then please read this web application’s log file to find out what went wrong.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yeah, while editing a welcome message on the mockup installation, I managed to break it. Sorry for the trouble. I’ll post a message when it’s back up.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

While the cause of the problem in #2 may not have been fixed yet, the installation seems to be back, and I would re-iterate my invitation from #1 to help testing.

(Possibly what caused the system going down is me clearing the content of http://saunders2.andrew.cmu.edu:8008/nlab/show/topos and thereby causing the deletion of dozens of links, each of which may trigger a sequence of database calls. If so, then this may be a problem with the real nLab, too, and not related to the migration as such. )

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 18th 2022)

Just to add that Christian Sattler kindly looked into the problem encountered in #2, #3 above:

He says (hope I am reporting this correctly) that

1. this was a problem already here in the main nLab installation, and would have been triggered here, had I made this kind of edit here (combination of deleting a large page and renaming it),

2. this cannot be completely fixed without rewriting the (bad) codebase of the nLab from scratch,

3. but that he did make some fixes in order to at least alleviate the problem.

To test this, I went and did a similar drastic edit to

(essentially clearing the page and renaming it at the same time). The result is still a slow reaction – about 1min for the edit to save – but not worse than that.

Just mentioning this to showcase what kind of stress-testing can be done here.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

I may have found a bug. I changed the name of arrow, and now if you go to saunders2.andrew.cmu.edu:8008/nlab/show/arrow it says

Note: eh-row and eh-row both redirect for “arrow”.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

at least similar issues appear regularly here on the main nLab, too, so this may not be specific to the new installation.

We should report it to the technical team in any case. But now I can’t properly reproduce it:

In http://saunders2.andrew.cmu.edu:8008/nlab/show/eh-row the problem went away after I deleted the duplicate of [[!redirects arrows]]. But copying the duplicate line back in does not reproduce the error message.

Could you make the error show up again? :-)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

Oh I see, I guess this is just expected behavior when you change the name of the page. When I changed the name, I added the old name as a redirect, which nlab inserts automatically, hence the duplication.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2022

test

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

odd, the preview post function doesn’t seem to work anymore

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

I was going to say that the [!include flavors of higher toposes – list] and [!include locally presentable categories - table] on the topos article don’t work.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

No link in the mock-up installation should be directing to the real nLab – but please look out for this and report as a bug if it does happen nevertheless.

The “diff, v59, current” links for old edits such as this one link to the real nLab.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    wrong link, should be [this one](http://saunders2.andrew.cmu.edu:8009/discussion/8638/compactly-generated-or-not-topological-space/?Focus=94715#Comment_94715).
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 19th 2022)

Thanks! I am bringing this to the attention of the technical team, if they haven’t seen it already.

(Noticed earlier that comment preview here on the real nForum is broken. Thought it was something on my side. Useful to hear that you are seeing the same effect.)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2022

the comment preview is working now

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Apparently some deeper problem in the nForum software makes relative hyperlinks break the preview functionality. Some workaround has been implemented now. But old hyperlinks on the new Forum will apparently keep pointing to the old installation.

1. Apparently some deeper problem in the nForum software makes relative hyperlinks break the preview functionality. Some workaround has been implemented now.

No, that was unrelated. I introduced a bug (since fixed) when removing hardcoded links from the codebase.

Links on the mock nForum should now always go to the mock nLab/nForum, expect absolute links in user posts, which have not been modified. But new posts made by the mock nForum announcer should link to the mock nLab.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. All right, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2022
    guest posts don't work on the mock-up nforum
  2. Thanks, fixed!
    • CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2022

I’m getting this error whenever I try accessing the mockup:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    • CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorChristian Sattler
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2022
    • (edited Aug 23rd 2022)
    Was that just sporadic or is it still persisting?

In the latter case, can you provide timestamps of some example requests?
    • CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2022

Same person as who commented at comment 21 but the mockup is working again now for me.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2022
    • (edited Sep 11th 2022)

Via Felix I hear that Hannes and Christian (from the technical team) made the last major step in preparing the migration to saunders2.

Anyone who still has energy left for helping us, please play and stress-test the new instances, which are now here:

An important difference to the last round of testing:

• https is active now and you can and should please use your real nforum passwords!
    • CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2022
  3. Thanks, all URLs should be fixed now.