Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. This is a first draft for a page on the relative recognition principle, as proved in https://msp.org/agt/2020/20-3/agt-v20-n3-p08-s.pdf

I intend to finish it in the following couple of weeks.

Renato V V

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2023

Hi Renato,

thanks for contributing, am looking forward to seeing the bulk of the entry.

Some quick hints on editing:

• if you want to explore editing you can use the Sandbox for experiments and also for drafts. It saves all your edits in the page history, nothing is lost.

• the idea of the wiki is to enclose all technical keywords in double square brackets, which makes them automatically be hyperlinked to their respective nLab entry. For instance typing [[pointed topological space]] produces the link pointed topological space

• our software is bad with rendering the combination :=, better to code it as \coloneqq

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2023
    Hello Urs. Thanks for the hints. This is my first contribution, so I'm still getting the hang of the editor. I will add the hyperlinks shortly.

Renato V V
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2023

I know, that’s why I provided some hints. No rush.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorRenato V V
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2023
    This should be a final first version. I'll check back to see if there is any feedback that requires changes.

Thanks for the hints, Urs!
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2023
    • (edited Mar 26th 2023)

A really stupid question: would it be possible to define what a “relative loop space” is? Is this just the loop space of the homotopy fiber? (Is the “relative N-loop pair functor” defined in the article the same as the “relative loop space”?)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2023
    • (edited Mar 27th 2023)

I think the more classic notion of relative loop space is as the space of maps of the form (I N,I N,J N)(X,A,x 0)(I^N,\partial I^N,J^N)\rightarrow (X,A,x_0) for XX a pointed space, x 0AXx_0\in A\subset X, and J N=I n{0}×I N1J^N=\partial I^n - \{0\}\times I^{N-1}. This is what is usually used to define relative homotopy groups of pairs.

To get the model theoretical version of the recognition theorem, the first problem with this definition is that there isn’t a model structure on the categories of topological pairs (I learned this from the answers to this mathoverflow question: https://mathoverflow.net/questions/128976/can-one-make-the-category-of-pairs-of-topological-spaces-a-model-category). The proper model category to consider is the category of maps of spaces, equipped with the projective model structure. If you start with the Quillen model structure the cofibrant objects will be inclusions of CW-pairs, and if start with the mixed model structure you get the maps homotopy equivalent to those.

For an inclusion of topological pairs the definition of relative loop space as a loop space of the homotopy fiber is homeomorphic to the classical one above.

As for the last question, the “relative N-loop pair functor” is not exactly the same as the “relative loop space”. The first functor outputs a pair of spaces of the form (Ω N(X),Ω N(X,A))(\Omega^N(X),\Omega^N(X,A)), while the second outputs just Ω N(X,A)\Omega^N(X,A). The theorem is about the structure of a relative loop space plus the action of the loop space of the total space.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2023

Best to add that explanation to the entry! Or better, the term relative loop space should point to an entry with more explanation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2023

Added a remark on the definition of relative loops pairs functor and created a page for relative loop spaces that goes into some details of why we use the definition using homotopy fibers.

diff, v14, current