Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2023

Created:

Definition

Given a smooth manifold MM and differential forms PΩ k(M,TM)P\in\Omega^k(M,TM), QΩ l(M,TM)Q\in\Omega^l(M,TM) valued in the tangent bundle TMTM of MM, their Frölicher–Nijenhuis bracket is a differential form

[P,Q]Ω k+l(M,TM)[P,Q]\in\Omega^{k+l}(M,TM)

defined by the formula

where Y i=X σ(i)Y_i=X_{\sigma(i)} and (1) σ(-1)^\sigma is the sign of the permutation σ\sigma.

Related concepts

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.

Enhanced:

Definition

Suppose MM is a smooth manifold. Recall (from the article Nijenhuis–Richardson bracket) that any differential (k+1)(k+1)-form KΩ k+1(M,TM)K\in\Omega^{k+1}(M,TM) valued in the tangent bundle of MM gives rise to a graded derivation ι K\iota_K of degree kk on the algebra of differential forms on MM: on 1-forms we have ι Kω=ωK\iota_K \omega=\omega\circ K and on higher forms we extend using the Leibniz identity.

Concretely,

ι Kω(X 1,,X k+l)=1/((k+1)!(l1)!) σ(1) σω(K(Y 1,,Y k+1),Y k+2,),\iota_K \omega(X_1,\ldots,X_{k+l})=1/((k+1)!(l-1)!)\sum_\sigma (-1)^\sigma \omega(K(Y_1,\ldots,Y_{k+1}),Y_{k+2},\ldots),

where Y i=X σ(i)Y_i=X_{\sigma(i)}.

Cartan’s magic formula

L X=[ι X,d]L_X=[\iota_X,d]

makes it natural to define the Lie derivative with respect to KΩ k(M,TM)K\in\Omega^k(M,TM):

L K=[ι K,d].L_K=[\iota_K,d].

The map LL defines an injective homomorphism of graded vector spaces from Ω(M,TM)\Omega(M,TM) to graded derivations of Ω(M)\Omega(M). Its image comprises precisely those derivations DD such that [D,d]=0[D,d]=0 and is closed under the commutator operation. Transferring the bracket to its source yields the Frölicher–Nijenhuis bracket:

L [K,L]=[L K,L L]L_{[K,L]} = [L_K,L_L]

for a uniquely defined [K,L]Ω k+l(M,TM)[K,L]\in\Omega^{k+l}(M,TM).

Classification of graded derivations of differential forms

Taken together, the Frölicher–Nijenhuis bracket and the Nijenhuis–Richardson bracket allows us to fully classify the graded derivations of the algebra of differential forms on MM:

A graded dervation DD of degree kk on Ω(M)\Omega(M) has a unique presentation of the form

D=L K+ι L,D=L_K + \iota_L,

where KΩ k(M,TM)K\in\Omega^k(M,TM), LΩ k+1(M,TM)L\in\Omega^{k+1}(M,TM).

We have L=0L=0 if and only if [D,d]=0[D,d]=0 and K=0K=0 if and only if DD vanishes on 0-forms.

Finally, the graded commutator of graded derivations can be expressed in terms of the Frölicher–Nijenhuis bracket (for KK) and the Nijenhuis–Richardson bracket (for LL):

[L K,L L]=L [K,L],[L_K,L_L]=L_{[K,L]}, [ι K,ι L]=ι [K,L] ,[\iota_K,\iota_L]=\iota_{[K,L]^\wedge}, [L K,ι L]=ι [K,L](1) klL ι LK,[L_K,\iota_L]=\iota_{[K,L]}-(-1)^{k l}L_{\iota_L K}, [ι K,L L]=L ι LK+(1) kι [L,K].[\iota_K,L_L]=L_{\iota_L K}+(-1)^k \iota_{[L,K]}.

Explicit formula

Given a smooth manifold MM and differential forms PΩ k(M,TM)P\in\Omega^k(M,TM), QΩ l(M,TM)Q\in\Omega^l(M,TM) valued in the tangent bundle TMTM of MM, their Frölicher–Nijenhuis bracket is a differential form

[P,Q]Ω k+l(M,TM)[P,Q]\in\Omega^{k+l}(M,TM)

defined by the formula

[P,Q](X 1,,X k+l)=1/(k!l!) σ(1) σ([P(Y 1,,Y k),Q(Y k+1,,Y k+l)]lQ([P(Y 1,,Y k),Y k+1],Y k+2,)+(1) klkP([Q(Y 1,,Y k),Y k+1],Y k+2,)+(1) k1(kl/2)Q(P([Y 1,Y 2],Y 3,),Y k+2,)+(1) (k1)l(kl/2)P(Q([Y 1,Y 2],Y 3,),Y k+2,)),[P,Q](X_1,\ldots,X_{k+l})=1/(k!l!) \sum_\sigma (-1)^\sigma \left( [P(Y_1,\ldots,Y_k),Q(Y_{k+1},\ldots,Y_{k+l})] -l Q([P(Y_1,\ldots,Y_k),Y_{k+1}],Y_{k+2},\ldots) +(-1)^{k l}k P([Q(Y_1,\ldots,Y_k),Y_{k+1}],Y_{k+2},\ldots) +(-1)^{k-1}(k l/2) Q(P([Y_1,Y_2],Y_3,\ldots),Y_{k+2},\ldots) +(-1)^{(k-1)l}(k l/2) P(Q([Y_1,Y_2],Y_3,\ldots),Y_{k+2},\ldots) \right),

where Y i=X σ(i)Y_i=X_{\sigma(i)} and (1) σ(-1)^\sigma is the sign of the permutation σ\sigma.

Related concepts

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber3.

Added:

Applications

The Nijenhuis tensor of an almost complex structure JΩ 1(M,TM)J\in\Omega^1(M,TM) is [J,J][J,J]. The explicit formula yields

[J,J](X,Y)=2([JX,JY][X,Y]J[X,JY]J[JX,Y]).[J,J](X,Y)=2([JX,JY]-[X,Y]-J[X,JY]-J[JX,Y]).

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

have touched the typesetting such as using \frac, breaking the lines in the big sum and making the permutations explicit in the indices

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentRowNumber6.

Added:

Original definition:

Refinements for almost complex structures:

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

Added an earlier reference:

The original definition, with an explicit formula is in Section 6 of

Further development:

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2023

Added:

An expository account:

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2023

Added:

A textbook account: Chapter 16 of

• Peter W. Michor, Topics in Differential Geometry, Graduate Studies in Mathematics 93 (2008). PDF.

diff, v6, current