Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010

In this paper by Clark Barwick, he gives a definition of a λ\lambda-tractable left (resp. right) E-model category as as a left (resp. right) E-model category equipped with two small sets of arrows I,JI,J such that the source and target of all such arrows are λ\lambda-presentable and E-cofibrant (resp. just λ\lambda-presentable) and satisfying the following two conditions:

1.) A morphism (resp. with E-fibrant target) has the rlp with respect to all morphisms in I if and only if it is a trivial fibration.

2.) A morphism has the rlp with respect to all morphisms in J if and only if it is a fibration.

This seems a little strange, since up until this point, all of the definitions were obviously dual to one another, but in this case, they seem to just be different. Is there any obvious reason involving duality that explains why this is the case?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I am not sure which asymmetry you mean. The notion of tractable model category is a variant of combinatorial model category, which is in particular a refinement of cofibrantly generated model category.

The (acyclic-)fibration-definition you just mentioned are just those of cofibrantly generated model categories. Is the asymmetry you mean the special role of coifibrations in that definition?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Jul 30th 2010)

No no no. Look, these are not honest model categories. A left E-model category is a pair of adjoint functors F:EC:UF:E\rightleftarrows C:U between structured homotopical categories (homotopical categories with fixed lluf subcategories called fibrations and cofibrations such that cofibrations are stable under pushout and fibrations are stable under pullback) such that UU preserves fibrations and trivial fibrations. Further, we require that the initial object of CC is EE-cofibrant, and that any cofibration of CC with EE-fibrant source is an EE-cofibration (We call a morphism ff in CC and EE-cofibration if U(f)U(f) is a cofibration in EE (and an object aa is E-cofibrant if U(a) is E-cofibrant).). Even further, we require that cofibrations have the llp with respect to trivial fibrations, and that fibrations have the rlp with respect to cofibrations with EE-cofibrant domain. Lastly, we require that any morphism has a functorial factorization as a cofibration and a trivial fibration, and that any morphism with EE-cofibrant source has a factorization as a trivial cofibration and a fibration.

A right EE-model category is a pair of adjoint functors U:CE:FU:C\rightleftarrows E:F such that the opposite adjunction F op:E opC op:U opF^{op}:E^{op}\rightleftarrows C^{op}:U^{op} is a left E opE^{op}-model category.

Now the defintion up top should make some more sense.

I didn’t write EE-cofibration for my health!

With regard to my original question, I think that a careful analysis should yield that the left E opE^{op}-model category assigned to a right tractable EE-model category is necessarily tractable, because otherwise, it’s not clear to me why they should even be called the same thing.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

No no no. Look,

Are you trying to motivate me to make a second attempt to interpret your question?

What is your question, Harry?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Jul 30th 2010)

This notion is significantly more complicated in the case of “left and right model categories”, which are not actually model categories. I’m sorry if I came off a bit rude. It’s just that the nLab’s definition does not cover this generalization.

The asymmetry I’m talking about is pretty clear just from looking at the definition (completely different things need to be E-fibrant and E-cofibrant), once you’re looking at left and right E-model categories.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I would guess that it probably has to do with the fact that lots of model categories arising “in nature” are cofibrantly generated, while few are fibrantly generated.