Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

Hi,

Sorry for being so hyperactive lately. Work is relatively slow. I think this week I’ll only put in about 50 hours. I’m used to 80-100 hours, so, of course, with all that extra time I have, I’m trying to do some physics and mathematics. Wouldn’t you? :)

Anyway, I have a bunch of questions and a bunch of ideas, but am pretty sure not everyone wants to hear about them.

I’m sure most everyone here has already found an effective way to ignore me (if they want to), but I was wondering if there was a way I could help?

For example, maybe I could tag my posts with some tag that would default to being ignored for some regulars so my posts won’t even appear to them unless they want them to? Or maybe we can implement a feature allowing readers to filter comments by some users?

I value this group and I like to be able to ask questions here, but am also aware that not everyone cares to hear my basic (and often speculative) questions and I don’t want to discourage other potentially interesting conversations due to my hyperactivity.

But do not worry too much. This luxurious life of mere 50 hour work weeks will not last much longer and I will naturally fade to the background soon anyway.

This note is just a recognition that I’m being hyperactive recently and hopefully providing some reassurance that it is not a permanent situation. It’s more like a small window of opportunity and I’m trying to learn as much as possible before it closes.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Eric,

It would certainly be easy to create an “Eric’s questions” category and to ensure that it was somewhere where those that wanted to ignore it could do so. But I’ll only do something like that if people (other than yourself) ask me to. For now, I’d say that you should keep your questions that aren’t nlab-specific in the “Maths, Physics, and Philosophy” category so that those who like to just concentrate on the nLab stuff can filter them out in the usual way.

If you really think that there’s going to be a flood of questions, an alternative strategy would be to record them on a page in your personal web and have a single discussion here for noting when you’ve asked another question. So here you’d just say, “New question on X” with the minimum of detail. Then I’m sure that people who are inclined to answer your questions will keep an eye on that page, and if they see a question that they feel able to answer, they can start a discussion on it here. That way, only questions that people feel like answering get discussions here. It also gives you a chance to let a question mature - often I find that the question I first think of isn’t the question I want to ask.

(That’s just an idea that occurred to me as I wrote this; there’re probably many flaws with it.)

Andrew

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Good advice. Thank you Andrew. I like that idea a lot. Especially the “maturing” part.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

I like that idea too. And I like Andrew’s observation about the initial question not always being what one really wants to ask (i.e. letting it “mature” - kind of like Scotch or fine wine).