Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    • (edited Aug 16th 2010)

The proof of HTT Lemma A.3.6.17 does not seem right. I assume that the lemma is true, but the proof is all mangled, like it was somehow mixed up with an old version.

Oddities:

It asserts that the fibrant replacement functor induces a functor F:U fU F:U_f \to U^\circ where U fU_f is the full subcategory of fibrant objects of UU, and U U^\circ is the full subcategory of fibrant-cofibrant objects. Shouldn’t the map classifying the natural transformation U f[1] SU U_f\otimes [1]_S\to U^\circ instead have target U fU_f?

W’_0 seems like it should be the class of widw\otimes id where w is a weak equivalence instead of the class of eide\otimes id where e is an equivalence.

Questions: Why is it enough to show that the upper and lower inclusion maps are weak equivalences near the end of the proof? Also, how does Corollary A.3.4.11 help in proving it at all?

Link

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

A link please to what you are talking about, or is your message itself a palimpsest?

is all mangled, like it was somehow mixed up with an old version

I think a good term for this pheonomana in math writing is palimpsest where some old version has not been completely removed and rewritten.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Aug 16th 2010)

-

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    • (edited Aug 16th 2010)

Bump? I did it because Urs and Todd are back from vacation, so I hope they’ll have a second to look at it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

First of all, I think you are correctly identifying the typos here.

I think instead of “fibrant replacement” we should read “cofibrant replacement”. And the “equivalence” that you refer to must be a “weak equivalence”, yes. In fact I think there is even more problem with the notation here. For instance idid and FF and hence α\alpha don’t really go between 𝒰 f\mathcal{U}_f and 𝒰 \mathcal{U}^\circ.

But as always, all these are pretty trivial things to fix. If one fixes it in the evident way then the main statement remains that we get the map hh.

Let me see about the remaining question about the end of the proof…

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Questions: Why is it enough to show that the upper and lower inclusion maps are weak equivalences near the end of the proof? Also, how does Corollary A.3.4.11 help in proving it at all?

The map hh which we obtain from the fact that we have a functorial cofibrant replacement goes actually

h:(𝒰 [1] S)[W 1]𝒰 [W 0 1] h : (\mathcal{U}^\circ \otimes [1]_S)[W'^{-1}] \to \mathcal{U}^\circ[W_0^{-1}]

(which incidentally makes the use of “equivalence” instead of “weak equivalence” in the sentence above correct after all), From Lemma A.3.5.14 we can extend this to a span

𝒰 [W 0 1][1] S(𝒰 [1] S)[W 1]h𝒰 [W 0 1]. \mathcal{U}^\circ[W_0^{-1}] \otimes [1]_S \stackrel{\simeq}{\leftarrow}(\mathcal{U}^\circ \otimes [1]_S)[W'^{-1}] \stackrel{h}{\to} \mathcal{U}^\circ[W_0^{-1}] \,.

To get a homotopy, we need to make this span into a genuine morphism,

𝒰 [W 0 1][1] S𝒰 [W 0 1]. \mathcal{U}^\circ[W_0^{-1}] \otimes [1]_S \to \mathcal{U}^\circ[W_0^{-1}] \,.

i.e. invert the morphism on the left. This is supposedly accomplished by the remaining remarks. Let me see…

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Aug 16th 2010)

I’m pretty sure that X[1] SX\otimes [1]_\mathbf{S} is not a cylinder object for an SS-category XX in general because the tensor product does not preserve cofibrations, in this case, XXX[1] SX[1] SX\coprod X\cong X\otimes [1]_{\emptyset_\mathbf{S}} \to X\otimes [1]_\mathbf{S} is not necessarily a cofibration.

Also, the thing about equivalences is important for the proof of one direction: When we’re looking at the map U f[1] SU fU_f\otimes [1]_S \to U_f, those elements of W’ have to be weak equivalences or we don’t even have a natural map U f[W 1](U f[1] S)[W 1]U_f[W^{-1}]\to (U_f\otimes [1]_S)[W'^{-1}] (on the top or bottom inclusion).

Also, lastly, A.3.5.14 says that we have a weak equivalence C[W 1]D(CD)[W 1]C[W^{-1}]\otimes D \to (C\otimes D)[W'^{-1}] exactly when W 1={xid D:xW}W'^{-1}=\{x\otimes id_D: x\in W\}. However, in the case of A.3.6.17, there are more morphisms in WW' than just those.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

Hey Urs, I’ve been stuck for about a week on this (and this is the last barrier to me finishing chapter 2 of HTT). Not to try to guilt you into answering more quickly, but I would sincerely appreciate any sort of light you could shed on the matter.