Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Huan
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2023
    I have a maybe naive question. Is there a geometric interpretation of Redshift conjecture? For instance, should a n-vector bundle over a "space" be equivalent to a (n-1)-vector bundle over a suitable loop space of it?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 8th 2023)

Yes, but it’s subtle:

First, typically it is fairly immediate that nn-bundles on XX transgress to (n1)(n-1)-bundles on LXL X.

(This is completely formal for nn-bundles with structure nn-group a discrete B n1A\mathbf{B}^{n-1} A – as in pp. 5 here – but with some massaging the transgression process typically works more generally.)

But what is more subtle is to characterize the (n1)(n-1)-bundles on loop spaces LXL X that appear as transgressions of nn-bundles this way: These carry some extra structure and it is only with this extra structure that they will be equivalent to their “de-transgressions” on XX.

The historically most studied case is that of String 2-bundles: As you know, before these were even defined, Witten had essentially thought of them as 1-bundles on loop space. Then in What is an elliptic object? and in The spinor bundle on loop space (pdf) Stolz et al. had sketched out how these “Spin” 1-bundles on loop space LXL X ought to be equivalent to String 2-bundles on XX.

It was only much later, namely just recently, that these ideas have been substantiated and proven by Konrad Waldorf et al. First, Konrad pinpointed the extra structure on the transgression of a String 2-bundle to a 1-bundle on loop space, he calls it “fusion structure”. The required equivalence was then essentially proven, I think, in arXiv:2206.09797, see at stringor bundle.

It is hence no less than 36 years after Witten’s “The Index Of The Dirac Operator In Loop Space” that this transgression/de-transgression relation between String 2-bundles and Spinor 1-bundles on loop space has been really understood.

What does remain far less understood (as far as I am aware) is the closer relation of any of this to iterated algebraic K-theory and hence to the redshift conjecture. I think all we really have in hands is:

1. the relation between String-structure and elliptic cohomology via the string orientation of tmf,

2. the argument that BDR 2-vector bundles are classified by K(ku)K(ku) and as such constitute a “form of” elliptic cohomology (for low values of “form”, I suppose).

While suggestive, the concrete relation between these two items remains rather vague, as far as I am aware.

In conclusion, while the redshift conjecture is somewhat reminiscent of what happens in the now well-understood case of String 2-bundles transgressing to 1-bundles on loop space, substantial details on the relation remain scarce.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Huan
    Thank you very much, Urs.