Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2023
    • (edited Oct 16th 2023)

Some folks on the Category Theory Community Server have said that the category theory mailing list isn’t working properly anymore: posts aren’t getting posted in a timely way, or not at all, and this is making it hard to announce conferences. I don’t know how true this is, and I’d like to find out.

Relatedly, they’ve suggested starting some alternative mechanism for announcing category theory conferences - and finding category theory conference announcements.

One suggestion is that there be a page on the nLab devoted to this. Are there any objections to that, or suggestions for how that should work?

I guess some people - like the people complaining about the category theory mailing list now - would volunteer to put announcements on some nLab page, and conference organizers might gradually learn to announce their events on that page. Of course the problem might arise that people put up announcements that shouldn’t be there. I suppose we would have to see what what actually happens.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • (edited Oct 16th 2023)

Of course there is already https://researchseminars.org/, and also conferences are announced on the Category Theory Community Server under general: events, so one question is whether those are doing the job well enough already.

But it might be easy to find out just by starting a list of events on the nLab and seeing if people like it enough to use it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

There are already a couple of pages recording specific recurring events that people keep updating:

It could make sense to have a general page

• “category theory events”

or the like.

Whether this works well as an announcement page depends on how it’s done. Maybe the top of the page should have an instruction along these lines:

You are welcome to announce upcoming events in category theory here. To do so, hit “edit” at the bottom of this page. In the edit pane that opens, add a bullet item to the top of the following list, and copy the same item into the “comment” box below the edit pane, as that will make the announcement be posted more visibly to the nForum.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2023
    • (edited Oct 17th 2023)

For meetings there is also https://mathmeetings.net/.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • (edited Oct 17th 2023)

I’ll urge those who wanted to announce events on the nLab to use the page category theory events for now, and I’ll try to remember to add the instructions Urs suggested. (Right now I’m on a cell phone… not good at such things.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 17th 2023)

Have created a page titled category theory events.

The software automatically creates a separate thread for updates to this page, see there.