Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Not sure which way the links should go, or where in the pages, but this should presumably link to Isbell envelope.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 31st 2010)

I further added sections

• on the fact that the left adjoint 𝒪\mathcal{O} lands in limit-preserving copresheaves;

• on the fact that if the site C:=TC := T is a Lawvere theory, we may think of 𝒪\mathcal{O} as homming into the TT-line object.

All entirely tautological. The point being to make these tautologies manifest.

Not sure which way the links should go, or where in the pages, but this should presumably link to Isbell envelope.

Right. I need to make a telephone call now. If after that you haven’t done it, then I’ll do it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    • (edited Sep 1st 2010)

Further expanded the last subsection, which is supposed to isolate the purely 1-categorical adjunction that underlies the discussion at function algebras on infinity-stacks.

Here is the story I am meaning to tell:

For C:=TC := T an algebraic theory, we may think of ordinary Isbell duality

(𝒪Spec):TAlg op=[C,Set] × op[C op,Set] (\mathcal{O} \dashv Spec) : T Alg^{op} = [C,Set]_\times^{op} \stackrel{\leftarrow}{\to} [C^{op}, Set]

equivalently as given by taking the left adjoint 𝒪\mathcal{O} to be homs into the line object 𝔸:=Spec(F T(1))\mathbb{A} := Spec(F_T(1)).

But in applications, we actually want CC to sit in between the free TT-algebras and general TT-algebras

TCTAlg op T \subset C \subset T Alg^{op}

such that we still have the adjunction

(𝒪Spec):TAlg op=[T,Set] × op[C op,Set] (\mathcal{O} \dashv Spec) : T Alg^{op} = [T,Set]_\times^{op} \stackrel{\leftarrow}{\to} [C^{op}, Set]

(notice now TCT \neq C!).

For this case the original simple definition of the Isbell duality does not quite make sense anymore. But that in terms of homs into the line object does, and still gives an adjunction.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 1st 2010)

wrote out a second proof – Proof B – of the Isbell adjunction, one that highlights maybe a different aspect, which is useful in generalizations and variations of the situation.

I point out that this proof is effectively what Ben-Zvi and Nadler write out in the context of \infty-preshaves over duals of dg-algebras.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I finally noticed that I should rename the entry to Isbell conjugation, which i now did.

As soon as we get the cache cleared (I can’t do it right now) I’ll split off Isbell duality again with a proper discussion of that,

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

You should be able to simply create a new “Isbell duality” even without clearing the cache. Simply go to http://ncatlab.org/nlab/new/Isbell+duality. By creating the new page, it’ll clear out the old one properly.

(That’s not to say that it shouldn’t have cleared it out anyway automatically.)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 1st 2010)

You should be able to simply create a new “Isbell duality”

But I am not, unfortunately: when I go to Isbell duality I see the old page displayed there, and when I hit edit on that page I am being sent to the HomePage.

That’s the cache bug at work.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, sorry, I didn’t read what you said properly. Got it now

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, wrote something at Isbell duality. But have to rush off now.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

added a link to Isbell conjugation in the Application-section at Yoneda lemma.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2017

Are Dedekind cuts the same thing as Isbell dual pairs when enriching over truth values?

(xLx \in L iff yU.xU\forall y \in U. x \le U means that L is the dual of U, right?)

If so that’s a really good intuition for Isbell duality. And assuming that’s true, what is known about the analogue of the Dedekind completion? Is it complete, cocomplete, and has an embedding preserving limits and colimits of the original category? Sounds almost too good to be true!

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Yes, and compare MacNeille completion. However, don’t expect (co)completeness, for I believe the Isbell completion of a small category is again small; for it to be (co)complete, it would have to be a preorder, and since the original category embeds fully faithfully into the Isbell completion, it too would have to be a preorder.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Did we ever bring over Simon Willerton’s material on Galois connections and closures to nLab? The story continued to a fourth post. Dedekind cuts are certainly one case in the truth value-enriched case.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

Ok, what about something more basic like finite (co)-completeness? Specifically how would you construct products? If you have (L,U),(L,U)(L,U), (L', U') that satisfy Isbell duality, you have 2 choices for a product, (L×L,I(L×L)(L \times L', I(L \times L') or (I(U+U),U+U)(I(U + U'), U + U').

I’m trying to work it out myself but the number of quantifiers makes it a bit hairy.