Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2024
    • (edited Jan 26th 2024)

I would like to add ’motivation’ pages about various topics (sigma-algebras, Markov categories, conditional expectations…), on the model of motivation for sheaves, cohomology and higher stacks. Is there a policy for those pages, or at least some ’customs’ that have been respected so far here?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Is there a policy for those pages, or at least some ’customs’ that have been respected so far here?

No, I don’t think so.

As far as I am aware there are three such pages, all of them ancient and mostly not polished:

(all by myself, mostly).

Today, with more experience with formatting nLab pages, I would do this differently.

(My latest rendering of that old of idea of “motivation for sheaves” has become the Encyclopedia entry Higher Topos Theory in Physics.)

\,

So I think you should not worry and just go ahead. Myself and maybe others might chime in with making some cosmetic edits, if you don’t mind.

But let’s also keep in mind that a motivation for any given topic is great to have in the Idea-section of the respective entry. Maybe it’s best to start with that and split it off as a stand-alone entry only once it grows considerably.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso

I’d second the suggestion to write those matters on the Idea section, that would reduce the number of tabs to open (which I keep hearing is an area of improvement for the nLab that should be addressed at some point).