Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2024
    • (edited Feb 16th 2024)

A few people have noticed that nLab pages rendered by Firefox sometimes leave out some math symbols. This can be annoying but can be fixed by reloading the page.

This happened to me today when I opened functoriality of categories of presheaves. That page should have 2 MathML expressions near the top which should be rendered as “PSh(C,D)PSh(C, D)” and “F:CCF : C \to C'”. Today they were rendered as “PShC,DPSh C, D” and “F:CCF : C\: C'” except that their layout was more like room had been reserved for the missing characters which were just invisible. I decided to right click on one of those and use the inspector to see what Firefox was trying to render. But when I did and the inspector panel came up both items became correctly rendered.

I think this means that there is some sort of rendering timing bug in FF that makes it think it has fully rendered characters when it hasn’t, and it is no fault of the nLab page source or any extensions installed.

I don’t know how to get Mozilla to address this usually not repeatable bug.

Firefox version: 122.0.1, Windows 10 version: 22H2 19045.4046

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2024

By the way, you don’t need to refresh the page to fix the issue. Highlighting the missing text will also render them.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024

If some reader here encounters this behavior could you try and report back if either of these things make the invisible characters appear.

• scroll the bad math off the page and then scroll back.

• resize the window down somewhat small to change how the text is broken into lines and then resize it back.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 17th 2024)

Thanks for looking into this old problem!

Yes, I see this effect a lot, and yes, all of the steps mentioned (scrolling, resizing, highlighting, probably anything that forces the browser to re-render) make the missing symbols appear on my system (Firefox on Windows).

Trying now to get some statistics: When I keep opening the page (not re-loading, but opening afresh in a new window), many dozen of times right now, first I saw the error something like 9 out of 10 times, and then decreasing in rate, now it is about 1 out of 2 times.

• CommentRowNumber5.

The effect may depend on how much memory Firefox is using and what sort of background activity is going on in other tabs which makes it hard to duplicate. All of this is complicated by the renderer being rewritten to take advantage of multi-core CPUs with lots of different threads communicating and synchronizing with each other.

One other thing I noticed (once) is that when it happens twice on opening the same page the two bad pages look the same with the same errors. FF also appears to hate \to characters which often become invisible. I haven’t verified that if one \to is invisible then all are.

The next tine someone notices this try having a look at the error log in the page’s Web Console. Pressing Cntrl-Shift-k will activate it (each page has its own console). Maybe there will be an error message about some abnormal termination.

I just looked at the console of a page that may have been bad and all I see is:

MathML length value “verythinmathspace” is deprecated and will be removed at a future date.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2024

I encountered my latest rendering error opening joint and marginal probability. Near the top of the page is supposed to appear the centered equation

P(A,B)P(A)P(B).P(A,B) \ne P(A)\,P(B).

however all the parentheses were invisible.

Scrolling that text off the page and back didn’t fix it (maybe because it was in a fixed environment?). Selecting part of the math and then unhighlighting made only the selected invisible characters visible, not the unselected ones. Sizing the window down small and resizing didn’t fix it until I tried again and scrolled the small window to show that equation.

The Web Console contained the additional message

Opening multiple popups was blocked due to lack of user activation. page_helper.js:198:7

which comes from nLab Javascript. That may have arisen when I was clicking to select or deselect and the code thought I was trying to ask for LaTeX source.

Urs - you appear to encounter this problem most often. Have you ever seen it in the nForum or nCafe (which also appear to use native MathML or only at the nLab?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I think I only see this effect on the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I just opened joint and marginal probability again and encountered the error. (invisible parentheses)

This time I tried scrolling not just until the bad equation was off the page but until I encountered more math parentheses. When I scrolled back to the problem equation it was entirely visible.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Since you mentioned it, Rod, I was curious and clicked on the link in your first line to view the page. It came up without parentheses. I refreshed the page (cmd-R on Firefox on a Macbook) and the parenthese appeared. I hope this helps sort out the problem

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2024

Ugh. There may be two related issues involved.

Right now on the pages joint and marginal probability and functoriality of categories of presheaves which I’ve gotten displayed correctly, if I perform a “hard refresh” (Cntrl-Shift-r) they display invisible MathML characters. However if I switch to a different tab and then switch back all of the characters have become visible. In earlier tests the invisible characters persisted under tab switching.

I’ve been unable to find any Mozilla documentation and what a hard refresh does other than saying it bypasses the cache by reloading all files associated with the page. It also seems to be clearing out some state information associated with the page.