Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2024

some observations on Okuyama’s model for the group completion of configuration spaces of points in terms of configurations of open strings with charged endpoints.

(previous discussion here)

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2024

added (here) the previously missing argument that all framed links are cobordant to framed unknots.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2024

a pdf/LaTeX rendering of this discussion is now also in section 4.1 of the draft kept here

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2024

Behind the talk of miracles and the miraculous, can one conceive of an explanation?

The humongous cancellations that happen to make this work seem no less short of a miracle, quite reinforcing the idea that 11d supergravity occupies a special point in the space of all field theories.

(By the way, it sounds a little odd. Maybe, “…to make this work seem nothing short of a miracle…” or “…to make this work seem nothing less than a miracle…”)

I remember André Joyal giving as an example of a miracle the fact that the algebraic closure of the reals just required a simple extension of degree 2.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for catching the broken wording, I have fixed it now.

On the “miracles”: The point of using the word is to indicate that it is lacking an “explanation”!

One expert told me that the reason the original authors didn’t check this was “probably because of an argument on counting of supersymmetries”. But I don’t see that this is a valid argument. So it remains a miracle that our mechanical computer algebra agrees after more than 10 minutes of crunching what must be millions of terms.

We don’t mean to belabor the point in itself, but in this article we do need to explain why we check explicit super-embeddings where previous authors were content with looking at the usual equations of motion. It seems this way they missed the critical radius.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Ok, so I guess I’m wondering whether an explanation might be forthcoming. Presumably there are historical cases where what appeared to be meaningless calculations later can be seen to be explicable. But then how could one know in advance?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t see that the miracle will be explained away. Doing these superspace computations is the closest I have come to feel interacting with an ulterior entity.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2024
    • (edited Aug 16th 2024)

Thinking now about generalizing the result — which, under the equivalence of ΩΩ 2S 2\Omega \Omega^2 S^2 with the loop space of Okuyama’s configuration space Conf I( 2)Conf^I(\mathbb{R}^2), identifies the Hopf generator with the framed link that is the 1-framed unknot — to ΩΩ nS n\Omega \Omega^n S^n for n2n \geq 2.

Since the Hopf generator becomes a 2-torsion element for n3n \geq 3, one simply needs to show in this case that the 2-framed unknot in n+1\mathbb{R}^{n+1} is framed cobordant to the 0-framed unknot.

My guess is that this is probably (1.) a well-known statement which (2.) works essentially by the “belt trick” move. But I have not yet found it in the literature.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2024
    • (edited Aug 28th 2024)

Today Shingo Okuyama kindly informed me by email about the existence of this set of slides, which I had missed before:

• Shingo Okuyama: Configuration space of intervals with partially summable labels, talk at National Institute of Technology, Kagawa College (2018) [pdf]

These slides show very similar pictures (p. 23-30 and pp. 52) and at the end claim an argument answering my question in #8 above.

diff, v14, current