Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

At Umbral calculus (wikipedia) there is reference to Rota’s work demystifying the so-called ’Umbral calculus’, where shady reasoning (pun completely intended - not due to me) can be used to prove results like identities for Bernoulli functions. To me it seems clear that something to do with species is going on, and the quote

Rota later stated that much confusion resulted from the failure to distinguish between three equivalence relations that occur frequently in this topic, all of which were denoted by “=”.

screams category theory to me. I would think that something like this might interest people around here (John, even, if he’s not too busy saving the world) to at least warrant a mention somewhere on the lab. I’m going to be very bad and not do it myself, for which I humbly apologise.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Sep 16th 2010)

It may be worth noting that Nige Ray wrote an article called Universal Constructions in Umbral Calculus and that he certainly looks to have put in quite a categorical setting. (I have only just found it. I remember him giving talks on the subject back at the time he wrote it.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 16th 2010)

I recorded the Ray’s article into umbral calculus, to start an entry in nlab.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Would anyone like to describe what Ray did? I certainly don’t have easy access to this article.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Todd: I found a copy at http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.66.2434 Does that help. I have not read the paper.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Great! Thanks, Tim. I now have it and would like to take a look, especially since “category of coassociative coalgebras” is mentioned on page 1.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Recorded. And few other references, including the first from 5-article series of Zeilberger on umbral transfer matrix method in enumerative combinatorics, which is somewhat more general than the original methods as Rota put them, including Rota operators. This area is quite close to the Hopf algebraic and operadic methods in algebraic combinatorics; some of the names in that area are Hazewinkel, Lascoux etc.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 16th 2010)

New article Rota-Baxter algebra and Gian-Carlo Rota. Among the relevant names I forgot to mention Marcelo Aguiar.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

Some reference additions and corrections at Gian-Carlo Rota and umbral calculus.