Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <p>Andrew finds precisely the right words over at that SBS thread.</p> <blockquote> The purpose of the nLab is not to make polished expositions of material, that’s a happy by-product. The purpose is to provide a public place where people can make notes about stuff. We all make notes as we read papers, read books, doodle on pads of paper. The nLab is somewhere to put all those notes, and incidentally make them available to others. Others might then read them and add or polish them. But even if they don’t, it’s still then easier to link to other notes that you’ve made. </blockquote> <p>I made it a standout box at <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage">HomePage</a>, replacing a paragraph along roughly similar lines</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <p>For the sake of brevity, I'd actually opt for removing in the preceding paragraph at <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage">HomePage</a></p> <blockquote> We think of this wiki as our lab book that we happen to keep lying around openly. We originally designed this place as the library, or alchemist’s laboratory, in the back room of the n-Category Café. You go there to discuss things, and here to write them up. </blockquote> <p>everything but the first sentence (which we also added recently, following Andrew's suggestion). The bit about the notes and the lab book just captures is better than the library. And the back-room-of-the-nCafe thing doesn't match reality either, even if initially intended that way.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Fine with me.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I guess we've never had a standout box this big before. Should standout boxes be limited in size the way that query boxes are?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> I guess we've never had a standout box this big before. </blockquote> <p>The standout on software requirements right below it is even a bit bigger, it seems.</p> <p>Is it really too big? Feels okay to me.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber6.

The question is not whether or not it is too big, but rather whether or not the box should scroll or exist at its natural size. Query boxes are constrained so that they don't take up too much space, I'm not sure that this should be true of standout boxes.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about then maybe you don't see it on your screen. Try making your browser quite thin and you'll see what I mean.

(I'm guessing that the code for the standout boxes was just copied from the query boxes and just the colours changed. Also, as changing the stylesheet requires "admin privileges", I don't feel happy taking the "wiki approach" and just changing it without at least giving people the chance to yell "No, that's not what's supposed to happen!")

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see. Yes, it would be good if standout boxes don't develop scrollbars. It is contradictory to have something stand out that is actually hidden! :-)

By the way, I now removed these two sentences as discussed above. Looks better to me now.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I've tweaked the stylesheet appropriately (got it right 2nd time!). Hopefully this hasn't broken anything else!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorJonAwbrey
    • (edited Oct 16th 2009)

The Lab home page used to have a link to the Cafe right at the top.

I kinda miss that.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

OK, it's back.