Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012

I just blogged about the recent Gepner-Kock paper which, among other things, proposes a more general definition of (infinity,1)-quasitopos than the one on the nLab. If no one objects, then in a little while I may modify the nLab’s definition.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 18th 2012)

If no one objects, then in a little while I may modify the nLab’s definition

I certainly won’t object if we put in a comparative disussion as you do on the blog (And thanks for the summary! That’s useful. I haven’t found time to study the article in any detail).

This all is related to a long standing question that I have been banging my head against with Dave Carchedi:

is there a notion of concrete object in a local \infty-topos which is independent of some of these evident choices?

We were looking at the nn-connected/nn-truncated factorization and trying to see if we could somehow “average over all nn” or the like to have not just a notion of “nn-concrete object” but just of “concrete object”.

The same issue shows up when \infty-categorifying Lawvere’s axiom for cohesive 1-toposes that we call “discrete objects are concrete”.

• CommentRowNumber4.

What are you looking to get out of such a definition?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    • (edited Oct 30th 2012)

Sorry for the slow reply.

What are you looking to get out of such a definition?

We never were really sure. It just somehow felt like the fact that in a local 1-topos there is a notion of concrete object – with the geometric meaning this has – should generalize to a local \infty-topos having a notion of concrete \infty-groupoids.

Concretely, where in the local 1-topos over CartSp the concrete objects are just the diffeological spaces, a natural question seemed to be: can we intrinsically characterize the full sub-\infty-category of Sh (CartSp)Sh_\infty(CartSp) on those objects that are presented by simplicial diffeological spaces? Are these maybe somehow related to totally concrete objects in Sh (CartSp)Sh_\infty(CartSp)?

These were the kinds of ideas that we were toying around with.

But it may well be, I think now, that all these questions are going in the wrong direction. I did eventually find a major application for just nn-concrete objects, and maybe that’s all there is to it.

(Namely just as 0-concreteness allows to formulate integration in differential cohomology/higher holonomy in a cohesive \infty-topos, so nn-concreteness allows to similarly formulate fiber integration in differential cohomology/transgression. I still need to write out the details of that, though. There is another aspect kicking in here for n1n \geq 1 that makes this statement be more than a blind generalization of the case for n=0n = 0.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    • (edited Nov 29th 2012)

So I have now a better answer to the above. It comes in two parts:

• the first is about explicit structures in differential geometry/cohomology,

• the second is about general abstract higher modalities.

Differential geometry, differential cohomology

If GG is a braided \infty-group in a cohesive \infty-topos, write BG conn\mathbf{B}G_{conn}, as usual, for the coefficients for differential GG-cohomology and let XX be any other object.

Then then mapping space object

[X,BG conn]H [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}] \in \mathbf{H}

looks a bit like the “moduli stack of GG-connections on XX”. Indeed, its global points are exactly the GG-connections on XX. But its cohesion is not quite what one needs for some applications:

for some applications, we want the moduli \infty-stack of GG-connections to have UU-plots which are cohesive UU-parameterized collections of GG-connections on XX, of GG-gauge transformations on XX, etc. But the UU-plots of [X,BG conn][X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}] are instead, of course, GG-connections on U×XU \times X, gauge transformations on U×XU \times X. That’s closely related, but is not quite the same.

In a rough sense, the right moduli object should be obtained by degreewise concretification of [X,BG conn][X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}]: it should be like [X,BG conn][X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}] pointwise but otherwise just vary cohesively.

I’ll write GConn(X)G\mathbf{Conn}(X) for that genuine object of differential moduli. There will be a canonical projection

conc:[X,BG conn]GConn(X). conc \colon [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}] \to G \mathbf{Conn}(X) \,.

In standard models, for XX an ordinary manifold etc. it is clear what this should be. The question is how to says this abstractly using just the cohesion, such as to know what this means for general XX and general GG and general ambient cohesive contexts.

Higher modalities

It was clear all along that the \sharp-modality of the cohesion should induce the construction of GConn(X)G \mathbf{Conn}(X). Now I think that I have proven that it indeed comes out, like this:

By the construction of the forgetful map BG connBG\mathbf{B}G_{conn} \to \mathbf{B}G (that forgets the connection and only remembers the underlying bundle), it factors canonically as a tower

BG connBG conn n1BG conn n2BG conn 0BG. \mathbf{B}G_{conn} \to \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{n-1}} \to \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{n-2 }} \to \cdots \to \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{0}} \simeq \mathbf{B}G \,.

This tower “forgets connection data degreewise”, first the nn-form pieces, then then (n1)(n-1)-form pieces, and so on.

For each stage [X,BG conn k][X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] we have the n-image/Postnikov system factorization of its \sharp-modality unit, which I write

[X,BG conn k] [X,BG conn k] 2[X,BG conn k] 1[X,BG conn k] 0[X,BG conn k][X,BG conn k]. [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \simeq \sharp_\infty [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \to \cdots \to \sharp_2 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \to \sharp_1 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \to \sharp_0 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \simeq \sharp [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^k}] \,.

Now the claim is that the differential moduli object GConn(X)G\mathbf{Conn}(X) is the following iterated homotopy fiber product of “modality-images”

GConn(X) 1[X,BG conn n]× 1[X,BG conn n1] 2[X,BG conn n1]× 2[X,BG conn n3]× n1[X,BG conn 1][X,BG]. G \mathbf{Conn}(X) \simeq \sharp_1[X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^n}] \underset{\sharp_1 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{n-1}}]}{\times} \sharp_2[X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{n-1}}] \underset{\sharp_2 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{n-3}}]}{\times} \cdots \underset{\sharp_{n-1} [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^{1}}]}{\times} [X, \mathbf{B}G] \,.

For instance for 1-truncated GG and hence n=2n = 2 this is the \infty-limit over

1[X,BG conn] 2[X,BG conn 1] [X,BG] 1[X,BG conn 1] 2[X,BG]. \array{ \sharp_1[X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn}] && && \sharp_2[X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^1}] && && [X, \mathbf{B}G] \\ & \searrow && \swarrow && \searrow && \swarrow && \\ && \sharp_1 [X, \mathbf{B}G_{conn^1}] && && \sharp_2[X, \mathbf{B}G] } \,.

Clearly this construction is just a special case of a general construction that exists for any higher modality and a given tower of morphisms. A natural question seems to be: is this general construction something of more general relevance?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012

Fascinating! But no, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before.