Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

I further expanded Moore complex (more propositions on normalization and on homotopy groups). Also tried to polish it a bit more.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010

I have tried to polish the section on the hypercrossed complex structure at Moore complex.

Tim, please have a look.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I think that there is a conflict of terminology. In the section on hypercrossed complexes, the entry says that the Moore complex is not a chain complex of groups although further up the page it is said to be one. Anyhow chain complex in its entry requires the ambient category to be preadditive. so the Moore complex, in that light, would not be a chain complex. This is a pity!!!! I think the better terminology is to say a chain complex of groups is a graded group with a differential. Then the Moore complex is a chain complex of groups. which need not be abelian.

From the point of view of the Moore complex, it would probably be better to redistribute this section largely to the entry on hypercrossed complexes, as there it can be developed more fully. Here in Moore complex, the mention could be a bit more limited. It is hidden at the bottom and is very unlike the abelian case so perhaps should be restructured. The entry on hypercrossed complexes does need a lot of work!

I may come back to this later this afternoon, but must see to something else for a while.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 17th 2010)

Anyhow chain complex in its entry requires the ambient category to be preadditive. so the Moore complex, in that light, would not be a chain complex. This is a pity!!!!

I have changed at chain complex the condition to “has a zero morphism”. At zero morphism there is a discussion that (Set *,smash)(Set_*, smash)-enrichment is sufficient.

I also removed at Moore complex the statement that it is not a chain complex in the non-abelian case.

From the point of view of the Moore complex, it would probably be better to redistribute this section largely to the entry on hypercrossed complexes,

I don’t think there is much to be re-distributed, but if you find time to add to hypercrossed complex, that would be appreciated.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Great.

I will try to do that, then we can see if we want to thin that discussion at Moore complex a bit.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Nov 17th 2010)

There is a related entry at normal complex of groups. I have added a line to this effect.

Actually crossed complex looks to need some TLC. I think some material is (essentially) duplicated there, and the structure is strange.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I have tidied up Moore complex a bit more. I still feel that the non-abelian case may be better off being separated. Incidently several of the abelian results are special cases of their non-abelian counterparts.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 17th 2010)

Thanks.

I am hesitant to separate the entry into two, because the term “Moore complex” is used by many authors specifically for the abelian case (Goerss-Jardine, notably). We’d be in danger of getting in a messy redirect situation if we split the entry.

But once we have more results on the nonabelian case listed, we could restructure the entry, with one big section on the abelian, and one big section on the nonabelian case.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Nov 17th 2010)

Good point about the redirects.

I have done a bit of work on crossed complex, but not yet to resolve the structural problem. (Examples in definitions, examples not in the section labelled examples etc. Don’t worry I will have a look at it and try to make some headway. (I should also do some work at 2-crossed complexes and related entries.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015

I have worked a bit on streamlining the sections

for readability and pedagogical purposes. For instance I have split the lemma that the differentials are all well defined into two (one for the alternating chain complex, one for its reduction modulo degeneracies), and I have given the notation for the subgroup generated from the degenerace cells its own numbered definition. Finally I made explicit as a corollary that, by 2-out-of-3, the projection of the alternating face chain complex onto the quotient by the degenerates is a quasi-isomorphism.

Finally I have started an Examples section and added a discussion of the chains on the 1-simplex.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015

Have also made the statement about the degenerate cells splitting off as a direct summand more explicit in a corollary.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2018

Added a hyperlink to a PDF of Moore’s Algebraic Homotopy Theory.

diff, v54, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2020

added pointer to:

diff, v55, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2021

Redirect: normalized (co)chains functor.

diff, v57, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2021

Added doi link for Carrasco–Cegarra

diff, v58, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2023

have spelled out (here) the example of N [W 2]N_\bullet\,\mathbb{Z}[W \mathbb{Z}_2]

diff, v62, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2023

also spelled out (here) the example of the induced dg-algebra structure on N [W 2]N_\bullet \, \mathbb{Z}[W \mathbb{Z}_2]

(which could be simplified further if there is a good answer to this question)

diff, v63, current