Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010

Jim(JDS that is) has asked me about Cordier’s h.c. nerve construction and pointed me to a recent paper which uses it, and also to a paper by Block-Smith last year on the same subject. This seems to be very related to some of the entries but searches do not give hits. Has anyone looked at this stuff? They use Chen’s iterated integrals etc.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    • (edited Dec 6th 2010)

This seems to be very related to some of the entries but searches do not give hits.

What kind of hits are you looking for, exactly? We have for instance a page Lie infinity-algebroid representation.

Has anyone looked at this stuff?

I talked with Camilo and Florian about this in Vienna two months ago. In my words, here is what they are doing:

For XX a smooth manifold, write TXT X for the tangent Lie algebroid. For VV a chain complex of vector bundles on XX, write end(V)end(V) for the corresponding endomorphism \infty-Lie algebroid.

The Lie integration of TXT X is the \infty-groupoid Π(X)\Pi(X) of paths in XX, The Lie integration of end(V)end(V) is an \infty-groupoid inside the \infty-category Ch Ch_\bullet^\circ of \infty-vector bundles.

So an \infty-representation of TXT X, which is a morphism ϕ:TXend(V)\phi : T X \to end(V) (a “representation up to homotopy”) must integrate to a morphism of \infty-catgeories ϕ:Π(X)Ch \int \phi : \Pi(X) \to Ch_\bullet^\circ.

This construction \int on such morphisms is what is described in the article. The actual machine that makes this work is an A A_\infty-algebra homomorphism Ω (X)C (X)\Omega^\bullet(X) \to C^\bullet(X). Because both the infintiesimal as well as the finite morphisms here can be expressed in terms of dg-algebra (this is described at Lie infinity-algebroid representation), and its differential forms (= functions on TXT X) for the Lie algebroids and singular cochains (= functions on SingXSing X) for the path groupoid. So that A A_\infty-algebra homomorphism gives a way of reading in an end(V)end(V)-valued differential form, computing its parallel transport and producing an \infty-functor Π(X)Ch \Pi(X) \to Ch_\bullet^\circ.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Dec 6th 2010)

Thanks. I had skimmed the papers and that did seem to be what was happening but I am not an expert. I suppose that seeing a reference to Cordier’s paper made me wonder if there was a more subtle link with h.c. stuff. (It all comes down to my feeling that that stuff was ignored for so long and that it is great to see people finally doing the sort of thing that we believed possible back in 1984, when Cordier and I discussed the subject area … on a long very interesting walk near here.:-))

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The homotopy coherent nerve comes in when we speak of the \infty-category of \infty-vector bundles modeled by chain complexes: we start with the sSetsSet-enriched category Ch Ch_\bullet of chain complexes and take the homotopy coherent nerve in order to regard it as a quasi-category.

Or some variant of this. In their article Camilo and Florian like to think of the model of \infty-categories given by A A_\infty-categories. They just mention the homotopy-coherent nerve as an alternative route through quasi-categories and don’t dwell on it further.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Homotopy coherent nerve is discussed early in Lurie's book starting with 1.1.5, quite nice presentation of one of the more difficult starting points; it is used much in chaper 2, for example in relation to straightening constructions.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Not sure what you are replying to, but if this is about the general notion of homotoy coherent nerve: the best reference is clearly homotopy coherent nerve :-)

• CommentRowNumber7.

I have added a link in homotopy coherent nerve to the original paper of Cordier.