Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010
    • (edited Dec 11th 2010)

Consider the category Δ +\Delta^+ from the article on the cartesian model structure. This category (I think!) satisfies some axioms of Cisinski that give the following result: The monomorphisms of Psh(Δ +)Psh(\Delta^+) are exactly LLP(RLP())LLP(RLP(\mathcal{M})) where \mathcal{M} is the small set {Δ nΔ n}{Δ 1Δ˜ 1}\{\partial \Delta^n\hookrightarrow \Delta^n\}\cup \{\Delta^1 \hookrightarrow \tilde{\Delta}^1\} where Δ˜ 1\tilde{\Delta}^1 is the presheaf representing the intermediate object [1˜][\tilde{1}] (in the notation on the page, this is [1] +[1]^+.

This is very cool if it’s true. This comes from the section 8.1 of Cisinski’s book. He proves a number of powerful theorems about “categories skelettiques”, which are essentially a restricted class of generalized reedy categories where we can filter presheaves on them by certain canonical n-skeleton filtrations. In particular, the claim in the preceding paragraph depends integrally on Δ +\Delta^+ being normal and skelletique (this translates to “skeletal” in English, but it is not the same as the ordinary meaning of skeletal).

Regarding the skelletique structure on Δ +\Delta^+, it is the same one as on Δ\Delta, where the non-iso monomorphisms are the maps that raise degree, the non-iso surjections lower degree, and the isomorphisms do not change degree, and further, we define the skeletal degree of [1˜][\tilde{1}] to be 22. I have not yet checked that Δ +\Delta^+ is normal, but I suspect that it is.

We denote by (𝔊,𝔊)(\mathfrak{G},\mathfrak{G}) the contractible relative groupoid with two objects and equipped with its maximal relative structure. We have an evident “relative nerve” functor 𝔑:RelCatPsh(Δ)\mathfrak{N}:RelCat\to Psh(\Delta), and we define =𝔑((𝔊,𝔊))\mathcal{I}=\mathfrak{N}((\mathfrak{G},\mathfrak{G})). By the above result, \mathcal{I} is injective with respect to the monomorphisms of Psh(Δ +)Psh(\Delta^+). The triple (, 0, 1)(\mathcal{I}, \partial^0,\partial^1) where i:Δ 0\partial^i:\Delta^0\to \mathcal{I} are the evident inclusions. This is an interval object, and the quadruple (×(), 0×(), 1×(),σ×())(\mathcal{I}\times(-),\partial^0\times(-),\partial^1\times(-),\sigma\times(-)) (where σ\sigma is the terminal map) gives a functorial cylinder. We define ( 0, 1):=Δ 0Δ 0(\partial^0,\partial^1):\partial \mathcal{I} = \Delta^0\coprod \Delta^0\to \mathcal{I} to be the disjoint union of the evident vertices.

Roughly following Lurie, let SS be the set consiting of the following four morphisms (we suppress the “flat” notation, since we find it cumbersome and confusing):

h 1 2:Λ 1 2Δ 2h^2_1:\Lambda^2_1\hookrightarrow \Delta^2
    {1}:Δ 0Δ˜ 1\{1\}:\Delta^0\hookrightarrow \tilde{\Delta}^1
    q:(Λ 1 2) # (λ 1 2)Δ 2(Δ 2) #q:(\Lambda^2_1)^#\coprod_{(\lambda^2_1)} \Delta^2\hookrightarrow (\Delta^2)^#
    a:A(A,s 0A 0{f})a:A\hookrightarrow (A,s_0A_0\cup \{f\})

where AA is the quotient of Δ 3\Delta^3 corepresenting the functor

Hom(A,X)={xX 3,eX 1:d 1(x)=s 0(e)d 2(x)=s 1(e)}Hom(A,X)=\{x\in X_3, e\in X_1: d_1(x)=s_0(e) d_2(x)=s_1(e)\}

and ff is the image of Δ {0,1}Δ 3\Delta^{\{0,1\}}\hookrightarrow \Delta^3 in AA. (Note that the object here is still an object of Psh(Δ)Psh(\Delta). The second coordinate is simply the value of the presheaf on [1˜][\tilde{1}].)

Note that we only take take S #S^# for simplicial sets that are the nerve of a category. We are not using any of the structure on Set Δ +Set^+_\Delta.

Now following Cisinski, we proceed to generate a generating set of anodyne morphisms for TT as follows:

Define Λ 0(S,)=S{ if:i{0,1},f}\Lambda^0_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M})=S\cup\{\partial^i\wedge f : i\in\{0,1\}, f\in \mathcal{M}\}

Where for f:ABf:A\to B and g:CDg:C\to D, fg=A×D A×CB×CB×Df\wedge g=A\times D\coprod_{A\times C} B\times C\to B\times D is the lower righthand corner map.

For any subset UArr(Δ +)U\subset Arr(\Delta^+), define Λ +1(U)={( 0, 1)f:fU}\Lambda^{+1}_\mathcal{I}(U)=\{(\partial^0,\partial^1)\wedge f: f\in U\} where ( 0, 1):(\partial^0,\partial^1):\partial \mathcal{I}\to \mathcal{I}.

By recurrence, define Λ n+1(S,)=Λ +1(Λ n(S,))\Lambda^{n+1}_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M})=\Lambda^{+1}_\mathcal{I}(\Lambda^n_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M})), and finally, define

Λ (S,)= n0(Λ n(S,)).\Lambda_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M})=\bigcup_{n\geq 0}(\Lambda^n_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M})).

Notice that this is a small set, and further, it is the smallest set stable under the operation Λ +1\Lambda^{+1}_\mathcal{I}.

By a theorem of Cisinski, LLP(RLP(Λ (S,)))LLP(RLP(\Lambda_\mathcal{I}(S,\mathcal{M}))) is the smallest class of anodyne morphisms (relative to the cylinder \mathcal{I}) containing the set SS.

It may be worth noting the definition of a class of anodyne morphisms An An_\mathcal{I} relative to cylinder \mathcal{I}:

Anodyne morphisms:

An 0:An_0: There exists a small set SS of monomorphisms such that An =LLP(RLP(S))An_\mathcal{I}=LLP(RLP(S)).
    An 1:An_1: For any monomorphism f:KLf:K\to L, the smash products ifAn \partial^i\wedge f \in An_\mathcal{I}.
    An 2:An_2: For any fAn f\in An_\mathcal{I}, ( 0, 1)fAn (\partial^0,\partial^1)\wedge f\in An_\mathcal{I} (recall again that ( 0, 1):(\partial^0,\partial^1):\partial \mathcal{I}\to \mathcal{I} is the canonical inclusion).

By Cisinski’s big theorem of chapter 1.3, these data generate a model structure.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • (edited Dec 11th 2010)

Possible pitfalls:

The sets \mathcal{M} and SS may not be correct. The set \mathcal{M} may not be correct if the category Δ +\Delta^+ is not normal and skelletique. This is not too much of a problem, since the main issue here would be our choice of cylinder. Our choice of cylinder is particularly nice, but we could always fall back and use the Lawvere interval if this fails. It is a theorem that the class of monomorphisms of a category of presheaves on a small category admits a small set of generators (called a cellular model) \mathcal{M} with accessible (compact, small, what have you) source and target (this is proven in Cisinski 1.2).

More seriously, but still not too terrible, our set SS of Cisinski generators (these are generators of the set of generators of the set of anodyne morphisms!) may not contain enough morphisms. One solution would be to simply include all of Lurie’s marked anodyne morphisms, but I am reasonably sure that the “anodyne closure” of SS will generate them, although I haven’t checked. In particular, I’d be very happy if we could replace the last morphism, aa, with something more intuitive.

Interesting points

We have an evident realization functor Δ +Set Δ +\Delta^+\hookrightarrow Set^+_\Delta, which extends to a colimit preserving functor Psh(Δ +)Set Δ +Psh(\Delta^+)\hookrightarrow Set^+_\Delta.

I’m pretty sure that the realization functor preserves cofibrations (by exactness?), fibrant objects, and the cylinder object, but to get an idea of what else is true, I will probably have to follow Cisinski’s construction of the model structure.

One reason why this construction should be very powerful, if it works out, is that we will not only have lifted the model structure, but also the slicing structure (that is to say, this allows us to generate a model category over every object). Further, this construction should allow us to give a powerful generalization of Kan’s Ex Ex^\infty based on the initial and terminal subdivision functors of Barwick and Kan (I hypothesize that if this whole crazy plan works, the correct subdivision functor for this anodyne structure should be either the terminal one or one of the conjugates of B-K’s “relative double subdivision”).

• CommentRowNumber3.

Uh-oh. I think I might be screwed if the realization ends up being the same as the plus construction.