Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011

So I was reading through a bit of literature on derivators, and I noticed that two of the axioms (Der 3 and Der 4) assert that our derivators should have all homotopy kan extensions along functors belonging to DiaDia, and that these are effectively pointwise.

Is there any way to weaken this notion by removing this very strong bicompleteness condition on derivators without completely wrecking the theory? In particular, something nice would be the ability to have all quasicategories have associated derivators, if we could do it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011

Well, I think a prederivator that doesn’t at least have finite limits or colimits is not going to be nearly as useful a structure as a general quasicategory; you’ve thrown away enough structure that it’s hard to do very much. But yes, it might be nice to have a word for a prederivator that satisfies (Der1), (Der2), and (Der5) only. I would myself probably have been inclined to say “derivator” for that and “bicomplete derivator” when (Der3) and (Der4) are added, but Grothendieck’s preferences were otherwise. Any suggestions?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Feb 20th 2011)

Maybe either semiderivator or quasiderivator? (Cisinski calls derivators missing either holims or hocolims “right-weak” and “left-weak” respectively)

By the way, I think that for the theory to be effectively equivalent to quasicategories, it seems like we would want the smallest class of prederivators that contains all of the derivators representable by homotopical categories à la Dwyer-Hirschhorn-Kan-Smith, since these (I think I saw this in Joyal’s notes) effectively represent every quasicategory (I think he calls this something like a “presentation” of a quasicategory).

By the way, how does the theory fail in the absence of these assumptions? Is it possible that in the classical theory, we can embed every prederivator into a bicomplete derivator, then deduce the holim and hocolims that live inside of the original prederivator by a notion of homotopy representability?

By the way, I remember that you were griping a bit about how all of the literature was in French (as was I), but I found this paper in English (written by a Ph. D. student at Bonn) that is quite readable compared to the French material (yes, the French stuff is alright as long as you know roughly what’s going on in the first place!)

What might be useful is to see what the local properties of a derivator are, then require them for those holims/hocolims that do exist.

• CommentRowNumber4.

I could live with semiderivator or quasiderivator. I don’t think you’re ever going to get a theory that’s “effectively equivalent” to quasicategories, though; there’s just too much information being lost. I’m not sure of an original reference for the fact that all (∞,1)-categories can be represented as localizations of categories with weak equivalences; most recently and comprehensively there is the paper of Barwick and Kan on what they call “relative categories.”

Regarding how the theory fails, I don’t actually know what you could do. All the theory of derivators that I know of uses limits and colimits; what would you want to do with them? I’m sure you could get away with assuming only the existence of the particular limits and colimits you need for any particular application, though. I think it should be easy to define what you mean by a particular limit or colimit existing in a prederivator; just say that the relevant restriction functor has an adjoint at that particular object, which is respected by all homotopy exact squares. Is that what you mean by “local” properties?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Feb 20th 2011)

@Harry The obvious retort is try to learn more French.

As a PG I used my rudimentary school French plus a dictionary to write a rough translation of parts of SGA4. I learnt quite a lot of vocabulary that way plus some topos theory! I was slow to start with, but I got better slowly. Mathematical French is relatively easy as is mathematical German or Flemish or any of the main western European languages. I cannot manage Russian.. and was never trying for more than a working translation for my purposes. i.e. I use the translated proof to build my own attempt, (with SGA4 the proofs are sketchy sometimes and are incorrect in detail moderately often as I remember them.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

just say that the relevant restriction functor has an adjoint at that particular object, which is respected by all homotopy exact squares.

I’ve spelled out what I mean by this at local Beck-Chevalley condition, and added a definition of semiderivator.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

Coolio!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    • (edited Feb 23rd 2011)

I wonder if there’s anything nice that’s true about these semiderivators. I bet Cisinski would know. Maybe I’ll e-mail him.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

One thing that Ross Street has pointed out in a couple of places is that axioms (Der3) and (Der4) can equivalently be phrased as saying that D admits pointwise Kan extensions along morphisms between representables in the presheaf 2-category [Dia op,CAT][Dia^{op},CAT]. (One has to define “pointwise” in a suitable way to make sense internally in a 2-category; the result turns out to be equivalent to (Der4).)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011

Maltsiniotis was saying that the derivators are rather special and that a homotopy theory/derived functors story in his opinion should be thought in three stages from a more general to more special

1) Cisinski’s catégories dérivables, cf.

• D.-C. Cisinski, “Catégories dérivables”, Bull. Soc. Math. France 138, pp. 317-393 (2010) pdf

2) derivators

3) model categories

We had not discussed the more general stage 1 in nnLab so far. I know nothing about them.

• CommentRowNumber11.

It looks to me like Cisinski’s “derivable categories” are another one more of the weaker-than-model-categories structures that one can put on a category with weak equivalences that still enables one to do homotopy theory. We have certainly talked about other such structures, like categories of fibrant objects.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Feb 24th 2011)

Surely, this is true. There is a construction of a derivator from a derivable category, I am not sure what it looses. What I like is that it is non-symmetric. It is weaker than categories of fibrant objects as the “left” derivable category CC contain Brown’s categories as category C fC_f of fibrant objects in CC.

What I like is that it is non-symmetric.

This is somewhat analogous to the situation with Rosenberg-right/left-exact categories which he uses in his nonabelian homological algebra. Rosenberg requires a structure of subcanonical singleton (co)topology, where the distinguished epis or monos (depending on right or left) are one sided (non-symmetric) version of structure of Quillen exact category with admissible epis and admissible monos. Rosenberg’s work subsequently defines (1-categorical, nonadditive) versions of stable categories: nonadditive presuspended and nonadditive triangulated categories. Notice that he does not require 00-object, just initial or jkust final, depending on side, not zero; but he has chain complexes, notion of projective resolutions and alike in that setup. It is tempting to compare his half exact categories to Cisinski’s formalism.