Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Let us work over a field kk, and take the recursive definition of nn-vector spaces. then a 22-vector space is a kk-algebra. now consider a 2-vector bundle over some space XX. how does one see that its global sections are a 2-vector space?

the answer somehow depends on the notion of section one adopt, but in any case the relation between the various definitions should be investigated. basically we have two notions (and their duals):

i) natural transformations from the trivial 2-bundle to the given bundle. this is a very clearly defined object, but it is not clear (to me) that this is a 2-vector space: which is the underlying algebra?

ii) the limit in 2-Vect of the functor X2VectX\to 2Vect defining the 2-bundle. this is manifestly 2-vector space, but it is not clear (to me) that this limit exists.

clearly the dream statement here would be that i) has a natural structure of 2-vector space, and that this 2-vector space represents the limit ii).

(or the dual version of the above)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

Good question.

For ordinary vector bundles one can use the fact that the forgetful functor VectSetVect \to Set is right adjoint to deduce that the underlying set of the vector space

Γ(V:XVect):=lim (XVVect) \Gamma(V : X \to Vect) := \lim_\leftarrow (X \stackrel{V}{\to} Vect)

is itself the limit over XVVectSetX \stackrel{V}{\to} Vect \to Set, hence the set of plain sections.

So maybe one should try to lift this by looking at a suitable forgetful functor out of 2Vect2 Vect. But I am not sure.

2. Good question.

thanks! I’m going to ask also on MO to see if we can get feedback there