Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011

Jacques and I have been having a few conversations recently to try to figure out what causes the nLab to crash or go slow. Upgrading everything, and reverting a few of the changes that I put in (which were intended to help!) seems to have fixed the crashing problem for the moment (*crosses fingers*) but still some pages are slow to generated. Whilst this is okay once pages are cached, it’s a bit annoying in the edit-view cycle. I sent Jacques a page that was taking a considerable length of time (over a minute) to render and he worked out that it is actually maruku that is the biggest slow step in the process.

Now Jacques isn’t too happy with maruku for licensing reasons, so this is just another nail in its coffin. He’s already looked around for replacements, but the problem is that maruku is a pretty advanced (as in, lots of extra stuff) Markdown renderer. So any replacement would need modifying so that it could handle maruku’s syntax (which we do use, to good effect).

The one he’d like to use is called rpeg-markdown which uses something called a peg grammar to figure out its rules. So we’d need to write the routines for all the extra stuff.

If anyone is willing to help with this, the conversations that I’ve been having with Jacques about this can be found at his forum in the Instiki section.

(Note that that forum is a new project by Jacques and is as much to test the code as to have an actual forum for discussing instiki. Please think carefully before posting other stuff there.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I am writing from (soon ending) vacation so can not download and look into large files these days, so I am just asking for future references. First of all, for every inclusion of new people in any nnLab-related software project it would be nice to have at one place the effective picture of the whole system we use, that is which programs, databases etc. are used, size of each program source code, which program calls which, where are the main references on each part of the system, what system each runs on, which parts of the system can work and be tested standalone and so on.

Second, I am asking again why “Recently revised” is generated by testing each page in the database and not by incremental change of Recently revised list (actually its abstract form in a form of list ordered by better accessible key than the output key of time ordering) at each change of some page.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Regarding your first point: I would say that it sounded like a good idea, except that I’m probably the only person with sufficient overview to write it! I’ll sketch out a skeleton on nlabmeta and then people can ask for more details of those bits that are unclear.

Regarding your second point: Jacques would be better placed to answer this, but I can guess two reasons: Firstly, if you look at recently revised then you will see that it is not actually a sequential list of recently edits. Each page is listed at most once and by the most recent edit. So each edit’s incremental change would have to remove the previous one of that page. Secondly, Instiki saves this sort of information in the database. So the only real effect of your suggestion would be to have a new database table that just contained the last edit date of each page.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Aug 8th 2011)

So each edit’s incremental change would have to remove the previous one of that page.

Surely, I think I commented on that before. This is not much time consuming process.

Surely also that it kind of assumes new database or list to be kept, but that new database can be very simple (and short if we limit to say last 50, 200 or 500 entries). I would even not say a database. It is enough to have a list of entries involved in say alphabetical order (so that it is easy to find) such that each listed entry has a link to the previous entry in time order. So that the output of the list is obtained by simply going down the list in this linked order (not the original order, which is useful for search). This way this list has two different axis.

Alternatively, one could go and look into the main database just for the time of the last edit of the new entry and change just the output list (or its internal format, which could be simplified) incrementaly: once one knows the timing one searches through output which is listed in time order to find the line where this entry is mentioned – this is logarithmic with the size of the list, as the list is time ordered. Then one erases that line and adds a line on the top. Nothing can be quicker than that and this would not require additional database. Just with each change of an entry, one looks for that single entry into database and if the entry is new (or the last edit of that entry before is older than the default time span of the Revised Entries). Then

• if it is new one adds the entry at the top (once a day one can truncate the oldest entries, or if the Revised list is limited by size, truncate at the bottom each time a “new” entry is added)
    • if it is not a new one, one searches through time-ordered list ouput for the line with the time stamp found in the database, and removes that line (of course, one has to assert that it is not a duplicate generated by the same time /once the time stamp is found one checks if the identifier of the entry matches.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I’ll sketch out a skeleton on nlabmeta and then people can ask for more details of those bits that are unclear.

It is also good to have parts of the code schematically separated into main function pieces. So that if someone gets looking into instiki or database part for example that one does not spend time going into irrelavant code, say the code which deals with html presentation. This is specially relevant if one hires somebody to help at critical point.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

Some people in Croatia, belonging to 2 different project would like to establish a wiki for their own purpose with LaTeX capability and they are considering instiki as one of the options. If we had some clean info on our experience (not only instikiu istelf but supporting things like database used etc.) maybe we will get somebody paralelly working with ,ktesting and improve more or less the same system (it is in our interest that they setup as similar system as possible to share the experience in solving problems). One of the projects is in fact international and it is about the study of complex systems.