Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

I found an interesting question on MO (here) and merrily set out to answer it. The answer got a bit long, so I thought I’d put it here instead. Since I wrote it in LaTeX with the intention of converting it to a suitable format for MO, it was simplicity itself to convert it instead to something suitable for the nLab.

The style is perhaps not quite right for the nLab, but I can polish that. As I said, the original intention was to post it there so I started writing it with that in mind. I’ll polish it up and add in more links in due course.

The page is at: on the manifold structure of singular loops, though I’m not sure that that’s an appropriate title! At the very least, it ought to have a subtitle: “or the lack of it”.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The answer got a bit long, so I thought I’d put it here instead.

Great, that’s the way to go!

The style is perhaps not quite right for the nLab

I think it’s perfect at this point. Ideally your MO discussion partners will be ecouraged to join into the editing of this entry. For that purpose the way it’s curently phrased is good. Once the dust has settled one can still move the attributions from the intro to the references.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

The page name is unconventional, but I won’t move it now, since I can’t fix the cache bug from here. But I added redirects.

• CommentRowNumber4.

What would you suggest? I know that the current one isn’t great, but I didn’t know how to make it clear without making it long.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    • CommentRowNumber6.

What would you suggest?

I suggest what I put in the redirect: manifold structure of singular loops. (The only thing violating the conventions is ‘on’, and thus also ‘the’.) David’s idea also works, so I made that a redirect too.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Brain flash … what about singular loop space?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Sep 17th 2011)

That suits me!

After all, one can think of a lot more to say about singular loops which is more interesting than their manifold structure (or lack of).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    In fact, what essential would a manifold structure have given?
    The discussion about self-intersections recalls Sullivan-Chase string topology
    where it is important that the loops are in a manifold (for transversality arguments)
    but from there on things are at the chain level
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011

The Chas-Sullivan case is a smooth manifold because in string topology one knows exactly where the coincidence should be. Actually, there’s two spaces important in string topology. One is formed by taking one circle and crossing it, the other is formed by taking two circles and making them touch. But in both cases we specify exactly where these coincidences occur and that makes them smooth manifolds.

Once you get to chains then you’re right, being a manifold doesn’t matter. But the Cohen-Jones reformulation does need the spaces themselves to be manifolds to get the Thom maps (well, there’s ways around that but it certainly makes it much prettier if they are manifolds).

In general, I’d say that manifolds are Very Nice Spaces and so knowing that you have one is a good thing to know just in case it ever becomes important.