Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011

Some time ago I answered a question at M.SE about why a topos with NNO was not sufficient for ordinary mathematics, to the effect that one only has intuitionistic logic, and anything requiring choice or excluded middle was lost. I received a comment today asking what happens if we throw choice in the ring, and so have ETCS without well-pointedness. I’m not enough of a topos guru to think of an example about what might break if we have to rely on generalised elements instead of working with a generator which is terminal. I know that people here have thought about the other alternative (ETCS - choice), but I haven’t seen anything on this permutation of the axioms.

Can we do things like calculus in a topos with NNO and Choice, using a real number object?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011

Well pointedness is a red herring; it just allows us to reason in a more natural language. The internal language of a topos with NNO and choice is sufficient to do ordinary mathematics, but it doesn’t match the external language.

Mike can probably explain this better than I can.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    • (edited Sep 29th 2011)

Right; or, put another way, every topos internally considers itself to be a well pointed topos, in a natural sense, so anything you can do with a well pointed topos, you can do in the internal logic of an arbitrary topos.

It seems to me, in taking seriously the idea of using a topos as one’s foundational environment, that one should only ever be reasoning internally to the topos and not worrying about how to describe that topos from the external perspective of some other foundational environment, anyway, so to speak.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011

@Sridhar and Toby - I think I agree.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

in taking seriously the idea of using a topos as one’s foundational environment, that one should only ever be reasoning internally to the topos and not worrying about how to describe that topos from the external perspective of some other foundational environment

I agree also, but I would say the same thing like this. The theory of a non-well-pointed topos is not a very good foundational theory. The theory of a well-pointed topos is a (structural) set theory, and we know how to build mathematics out of sets. The theory of a non-well-pointed topos is a theory of some objects that behave a bit like sets in some ways, but very unlike sets in many important ways.

It just so happens that if you have, in some external theory T (which might, itself, be the theory of a well-pointed topos, or it might not) a model S of the theory of a non-well-pointed topos, then S gives rise to a “compilation” or “translation” or “encoding” of statements in the language of a well-pointed topos into statements in the language of T, which is sound. Therefore, anything we prove in the foundational theory of a well-pointed topos can be translated into a different true statement in the theory T that says something about the model S.

In other words, I don’t usually think of non-well-pointed toposes and internal logic as part of the usage of topos theory to provide a foundation for mathematics, but rather as part of the application of that fact to give us an easier way to prove things about toposes that we are led naturally to construct as part of the process of doing mathematics (presumably within some particular foundational system, but the nature of that system being mostly irrelevant).