Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

Let P be the strict omega-category generated as follows:

Let A_0=∂O^1, and let E_n=Hom(∂O^n,A_{n-1}), where A_n is obtained by the cocartesian square:

E_n × ∂O^n -> A_{n-1}
    |                        |
    |                        |
    v                        v
    E_n × O^n —-> A_n

This gives an inductive system A_0 -> A_1 -> … -> A_n ->…

And we call the inductive limit of this system P.

Then P gives a factorization of ∂O^1->O^0 into a natural cofibration followed by a natural trivial fibration.

Recall that the Crans-Gray tensor product is a biclosed monoidal structure on str-ω-cat induced by the Day convolution product on the category of cubical sets extending the canonical product of cubes i× j= i+j\Box_i \times \Box_j=\Box_{i+j} inherited from the category of sets.

Recall that in a monoidal category (V,,I,,r)(V,\otimes, I, \ell, r) (here, :IXX\ell:I\otimes X \cong X and r:XIXr:X\otimes I \cong X are the natural isomorphisms for the unity object), an object X is called quasi-central in V if there exists a natural isomorphism α:XX\alpha: X\otimes - \to - \otimes X such that for any objects A and B in V, the following coherence conditions are satisfied:

α AB=(1 Aα B)(α A1 B\alpha_{A\otimes B}=(1_{A} \otimes \alpha_B)(\alpha_A \otimes 1_B

and

α I= X 1r X\alpha_{I}=\ell^{-1}_X r_X

Then my question: Is the object P defined as above quasicentral in the Crans-Gray monoidal category of strict ω-categories?

If not, can it at least be shown that it is quasicentral in the monoidal subcategory of cofibrant objects?

The intuition here is that it seems like for any fixed arbitrary strict ω\omega-category CC and any cofibrant object AA, you can manufacture a natural bijection

Hom(PA,C)Hom(P,RHom(A,C))Hom(P,LHom(A,C))Hom(AP,C)Hom(P\otimes A, C)\cong Hom(P,RHom(A,C))\cong Hom(P,LHom(A,C)) \cong Hom(A\otimes P,C)

since a P-shaped left-lax transfor seems like it can be reversed to a P-shaped right-lax transfor by composing with a fixed automorphism of P (since P classifies equivalences).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

Uhh…

Can you do something silly like this:

A map PD nXP\otimes D_n\to X corresponds by adjunction to a map D nLHom(P,X)D_n\to LHom(P,X), but there exists a natural isomorphism PP opP\to P^{op}, so we can compose D nLHom(P op,X)D_n\to LHom(P^{op},X), but then by duality, this corresponds to a map D nLHom(P,X op).D_n\to LHom(P,X^{op}). Passing back along the adjoint, we obtain a map PD nX opP\otimes D_n \to X^{op}, which gives, by duality, a map (PD n) opX(P\otimes D_n)^{op}\to X, but due to the interaction of duality with the tensor product, this gives us a map D n opP opXD_n^{op}\otimes P^{op} \to X. Then precomposing with the isomorphism D nPD n opP opD_n\otimes P \to D_n^{op} \otimes P^{op}, this gives a map D nPXD_n\otimes P \to X.

Obviously, we can do this in reverse, so we see that we have commutativity of PP with the n-globes and their boundaries… if I didn’t screw up!