Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

In the hope of getting a bit of organisation here, I've created a few new categories. The full list is now:

1. General. For anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
    2. Latest Changes. For recording latest changes from the n-lab.
    3. Organisation. For discussions about the organisation of the n-lab.
    4. Technical. For technical matters about the n-lab (including bug reports).
    5. Lab Elf News. This is intended as a place where the lab elves can record snippets of useful information (such as itex updates).
    6. Diagrams. What it says on the tin.
    7. n-Forum. To keep discussions about this place separate from that place.
    8. Trash. What it says on the tin.

The new ones are "Technical" and "Organisation".

The point of the "Organisation" category is that although the n-lab now has a steering committee, that's just for when a policy decision has to be made. The actual discussion leading to that decision should involve all the users, or at least give all users the chance to be heard. So anyone can start a discussion in that category, and anyone can contribute to any discussion there.

(Note: it might be nice to have some of the old discussions in the "General" category moved to an appropriate one of the new ones. Everyone has the ability to do this, so if you're commenting on a discussion and think that it is in the wrong place, just move it.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don't understand what "6. Diagrams" is supposed to be about. (?)

• CommentRowNumber3.

"Diagrams" is actually a category that we've had here for a while. It was created as there was a time when there was a lot of discussion (relatively speaking) as to the best method of getting diagrams into the n-lab. It's died down a little recently, but it's still worth keeping these discussions in their own place. Since it wasn't a new category, I didn't think that anyone would mind if I didn't describe it too carefully. IAHWYCB

• CommentRowNumber4.

Here's a suggestion for another category: we're starting to get the odd mathematical discussion here so maybe there should be a place for those?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Mostly those come out of Latest Changes, and it would seem odd to move something out of there that began as a report on a Lab edit, even if it has evolved into a discussion on mathematics related to that edit.

But in general, I agree that we should expect purely mathematical discussions to appear here, as this (rather than the Cafe) becomes the main discussion area for Lab regulars. I would watch both General and Latest Changes for such discussions, to see if they should get their own category.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

But hopefully we can avoid filling the nForum with too much useful technical discussion!

Don't get me wrong, but the whole point of the nLab is that as soon as a technical discussion is useful, it should be fed into an appropriate entry. We don't want the nForum to be yet another forum where good technical insight disappears into without leaving a trace! Right?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Right!

• CommentRowNumber8.

Absolutely!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

On a related note, I tend to ask A LOT of questions. These can turn into long "Discussion" on an nLab page. Sometimes I feel like my questions "pollute" the page, but the answers are always valuable. I've floated this idea before, but let me float it again.

What if we create "Dicussion" pages for pages that have particularly long discussions. For example, functor (dicussion) or something. Then we can move the discussion there, leave the original page cleaner, and post a link to the discussion page?

I also think it might be good to post a link on the page back to the relevant "latest changes" page. Therefore, changes to functor might show up in the same discussion. Currently, (I think) we can end up with many latest changes announcements in different threads for the same page.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

I've never thought that your discussions pollute the page, Eric, and I'd rather keep them up front (even if at the bottom).

But I agree with you about discussions on the Forum. It would be better to have them on the page itself, so it would be good to link them from the page itself. Getting people to remember to do that will be the tricky part ….