Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

All the fun at flat module gave me the idea for the following quick test of one’s categorical level. In the variety of descriptions at flat module we have:

1. A description in terms of elements and relations.
    2. A description in terms of relationship to other objects (filtered colimit of frees).
    3. A description in terms of an induced functor.

Which do you prefer?

If you answer 1, then your categorical level is 0.
    If you answer 2, then your categorical level is 1.
    If you answer 3, then your categorical level is at least 2.

What made me think of this (abject silliness) was that I was surprised to realise that I actually like the second description best, thus putting my categorical level higher than I normally think of it being.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

Leaning more to 3 than 2, I think. It’s 3 which in my mind explains why we should care about 2.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Somewhere between 2 and 3, but closer to the former.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

Both (2) and (3) make me happy. (1) just seems tedious. Sometimes I do think on that level, but I feel like I’m deliberately dumbing things down to do so. (To be sure, sometimes I’m dumbing things down for my own sake!)

Surely (3) is better than (2), but I’m not sure that I understand it yet in this case.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

I feel that there are other levels than 1,2, and 3. None of these explain why the word ’flat’! I also think that the important idea is the intuition behind the relationships between the three levels. None is ‘Dumbing down’ to quote Toby. By the way you may knowthat there is a lovely silly book called something like ’mathematics made difficult’ which has the paragraph:

“This section is about addition. The fact that the reader has been told this does not necessarily mean that he knows what the section is about, at all. He still has to know what addition is, and that he may not yet know. It is the author’s fond hope that he may not even know it after he has read the whole section.”

Knowing what a ’flat module’ is really requires one to understand all three levels at a deep level!!!! :-)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

I knew 3, and had seen and largely ignored 1 as unilluminating, but I squealed happily a little when I saw 2, because it's nice in itself as well as helping to make sense of 3. So I suppose I'd oscillate between 2 and 3. But I'd also agree with Tim that

the important idea is the intuition behind the relationships between the three levels.

There's an interesting collection of ideas involving flatness, but I don't quite know how they overlap: there's 'torsor' = 'flat presheaf', (a different sense of) 'torsor' = 'locally representable presheaf', and (for nice rings) 'flat module' = 'locally free module'. I wonder if there's a context in which 'locally foo' = 'filtered colimit of foos', or something similar, would make sense.

• CommentRowNumber7.

What’s funny here about the word ’torsor’ as a synonym for ’flat presheaf’ is its kinship to the word ’torsion’, as in ’torsion group’, which is sort of opposite to being flat (a \mathbb{Z}-module is flat iff it is torsion-free). Various people have asked about the the origin of the term ’flat’ as applied to modules, but I’ve never heard any consensus on the matter. My own guess is that ’flat’ was originally proposed as a generalization of ’torsion-free’ (which is btw a very type 1 formulation), perhaps under the influence of the moon of Frenet-Serret frames and curves in 3\mathbb{R}^3, where a curve is ’flat’ (lies in a plane) iff its torsion vanishes.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Finn, I normally think of “projective” as a synonym for “locally free” (becomes free after localizing at a prime, i.e., after taking stalks at a point in the spectrum).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Nov 11th 2011)

Does anyone have a contact who could give the origin of the use of ‘plat’ in this context. There is an article by Dieudonné, Adv.in Math., 3 (1969) 233-321, in which he discusses some of the terminology from a motivational point of view. I used to have a copy but do not now know where it is. (I do not have access to AIM as it is now owned by one of the *******<- expletive deleted!) I think there was a very geometric motivation for the term.

To return to the original question, surely the true measure of categorical level should be to appreciate the links between the concepts, as category theory is more about the relations between things than just the things themselves. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Various people have asked about the the origin of the term ’flat’ as applied to modules, but I’ve never heard any consensus on the matter.

I thought it came from algebraic geometry: a ring homomorphism SRS\to R is flat if the corresponding morphism of schemes SpecRSpecSSpec R \to Spec S varies in some flattish way.

• CommentRowNumber11.

some flattish way

Could you amplify on that, Mike?

• CommentRowNumber12.

Yes, but what I want is a bit more intuition about that ‘flattish way’ as you so neatly put it.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Nov 11th 2011)

I vaguely remember that some intuition about flatness in algebraic geometry is discussed at some length in the Commutative algebra monograph by Eisenbud.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    • (edited Nov 12th 2011)

Perhaps if someone has a copy they could look at p.153 as the Google book version seems to indicate a link there with vanishing first derivatives, if handling rings of germs of functions. The previewed excerpt is too short to make much sense.

(I noted that near one of the entries on flatness was one on the Rees algebra of an ideal. Does anyone have information on this? I ask for personal reasons since David Rees was from my home town and was taught by my father in school.)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

I don’t think the word “flat” appearing on p.153 has anything to do with flat modules. He is merely using the word to describe functions which have all derivatives vanishing. The whole next chapter is dedicated to flatness, but reading through it, I don’t feel particularly enlightened regarding the (geometric) intuition for flatness.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • (edited Nov 12th 2011)

Thanks. The mystery remains therefore! (for the moment)

but see this perhaps.

(Added later: The answers there are very good, and perhaps some digest of that should be put somewhere on the Lab.)

Andrew, thanks for the original question. :-)