Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012
    • (edited Jan 11th 2012)

This is a continuation of a thread ending with Mike’s comment here. I tried changing my itex mode (it was set to ’auto’, I think), and of all the options only png showed some semblance of the intended rendering of \preceq and \sslash in the nForum (they showed as they do in my Google Reader, which is say not quite right, but I can read them). But this mode didn’t do the trick when I applied it to the nLab page stabilizer group. (Don’t know if this comment is at all helpful from a diagnostic standpoint.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012

Well, the settings in the nForum don’t affect anything on the nLab, I think, which always and only uses MathML. Your experience confirms what I expected, but now we’re at the point where someone more knowledgeable will have to step in.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

I have no idea about the cause or solution to this problem. (It works well on my machine, for a change.)

But in any case, since this will affect more people, if this problem persists, we should remove the problematic characters from the entry for the time being, and replace again with the uglier but readable workarounds.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

Mike is right, the nForum settings have nothing to do with the nLab (though my plan is to modify the nForum rendering to be more like the nLab’s - once the semester has settled down!).

nLab
    If the software detects a MathML-capable browser (currently Firefox or IE+MathPlayer) then it sends MathML.
    Otherwise, it still sends MathML, but loads MathJaX which converts the MathML into HTML+CSS
    nForum
    If the user has expressed a preference, it obeys that preference,
    If the software detects a MathML-capable browser (currently Firefox or IE+MathPlayer) then it sends MathML.
    Otherwise, it sends a png image of the maths. (There is an option to send SVG, which has the advantage over PNG of being scalable, but is not supported by all browsers.)