Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    • (edited Jan 21st 2012)

I am wondering whether there is anything out there on a general concept of profinite completion relative to an algebraic (i.e., monadic) functor.

The rough idea I have in mind is that if CC is locally finitely presentable and U:ACU: A \to C is monadic, then in CC we might reasonably call a finitely presentable object just “finite”, and given an object aa of AA, we might be interested in the profinite completion of aa (relative to UU), the limit over all quotients of aa which become finite in CC (edit: what should I mean by “limit” here – do I mean in propro-Fin(C)Fin(C) where Fin(C)Fin(C) is the category of finite objects?).

The classical case would be U:GrpSetU: Grp \to Set of course. But also of interest is the relative monadic functor U:Alg kVect kU: Alg_k \to Vect_k, where finite objects in Vect kVect_k are finite-dimensional spaces (so the profinite completion of an algebra would be the inverse limit over all finite-dimensional algebra quotients). This is the type of thing that I was alluding to in cofree coalgebra, where I linked to profinite completion, but so far that page just concentrates on the classical case U:GrpSetU: Grp \to Set.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    • (edited Jan 22nd 2012)

Perhaps D. Gildenhuys and J. Kennison, Equational completions, model induced triples and pro-objects , J. Pure Applied Alg., 4, (1971), 317–346 may help. I have added it in as a reference with a stubby subsection on equational completion into profinite completion.

I have also added a bit on pro-C completions.

• CommentRowNumber3.

On a slightly different note, have a look at http://www.math.muni.cz/~kunc/conf/Steinberg.pdf for some work of Ben on related constructions and their applications. It would be good to include some of his stuff somewhere relevant, but I do not have time to do it at the moment. (also stuff by Jorge Almeida from Porto.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Wow, you added a lot, Tim – thank you! Unfortunately I can’t seem to gain access to Gildenhuys-Kennison (Elsevier puts it behind a paywall, and I refuse to pay on principle), so this will have to wait until I can get to the nearest university library. Maybe I could ask here: what’s meant by an equational completion? And is there a single core result of that paper which ought to be recorded in the nLab?

• CommentRowNumber5.

Ah, well I guess the equational completion is what is also called the monadic completion. I’ll see if I can write something up for the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Equational category is meant in the sense of Linton: Some aspects of equational categories. La Jolla. Also in the triples seminar collection.

The idea in Gildenhuys and Kennison is to have a functor (e.g. the forgetful functor I:FinGrpsSetsI: FinGrps\to Sets) and to find an equational category (approximately a category of algebras over a possibly infinitary theory or monad) so that II factors through th forgetful functor from that category to sets and is universal with that property. Linton shows that the class of nn-ary operations for the completion of II can be regarded as Nat(I n,I)Nat(I^n,I) for nn a set. (This needs to have some ’tractability’ conditions on it to ensure smallness etc.) The problem is thus to find enough information on those natural transformations so that you get a reasonable description of the ’algebras’.

For I:FInSetsSetsI: FInSets\to Sets the inclusion, a natural transformation from I nI^n to II corresponds to an ultrafilter on nn (and the equational completion is that category of compact Hausdorff spaces). many of the linear compactness conditions on algebras are related to similar algebraic situations. (I am copying out or adapting from the intro to the paper so hope this makes sense!!!!)

Much of the terminology may have changed since 1971 so you may know of these results in a different situation.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Jan 22nd 2012)

as to 6., I was double checking and that looks right. Equational = monadic in this case. There is also a paper by Diers: in the Cahiers.

As to adding a lot, I have a draft monograph of 500 + pages on profinite algebraic homotopy so a bit of copy paste edit works wonders!!!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

Looks like the free monadic functor on a tractable functor in Gildenhuys-Kennison is what you’d expect: its codensity monad. Their goal is then: if MSetM\to Set is a tractable functor (meaning, I guess, that it has a codensity monad — it suffices for M to be small), with codensity monad TT, then is there a small understandable (perhaps finitary) submonad T 0TT_0 \subseteq T such that TT-algebras can be identified with certain topological T 0T_0-algebras, with topology induced by all maps into the objects of MM (considered as discrete)?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

There is a link between the codensity monad and categorical shape theory. If K:ABK:A\to B is a functor, then the shape category for KK is the Kleisli category for the codensity monad (in profunctors) provided the counit transformation is invertible. (I am abbreviating things here and it is a long time since I worked on this!)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012

Another interesting result is that they establish a direct link with pro-objects in their section 2.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012

I have created a stub on profinite completion of a space, which is not about the profinite completion of the homotopy type, but is more purey topological. It is needed if one is to discuss Fabien Morel’s work or Geirion Quick’s on simplicial profinite spaces and their relationship with étale homotopy theory.