Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

This is just to check if I have remembered something correctly.

Let GG be a (nice enough) topological group, and let XX be a manifold with an action (proper, actually) by a Lie group HH. Let X//H:=(X×EH)/HX//H := (X\times EH)/H be the Borel construction. Is it true that the set of isomorphism classes of HH-equivariant principal GG-bundles is given by [X//H,BG][X//H,BG]? Where would I find a reference/proof of this?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    • Peter May, Some remarks on equivariant bundles and classifying spaces (pdf)
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012

Thanks, Urs. Ironically, I had found that just earlier, but didn’t make the effort to read the poorly-scanned article past the first page.

This is just a warmup. In fact, I need to replace the action groupoid HXH \rtimes X with a more general Lie groupoid, but that shouldn’t be too hard (I know what the Borel construction becomes in that case, it’s the other part that needs doing).

From an (,1)(\infty,1)-categorical point of view, we have two functors LieGpdTopLieGpd \to Top, one being the Borel construction, the other being the nerve followed by geometric realisation. From the result I first mentioned, [X//H,BG][X//H,BG] gives the right connected components of the hom-space Hom(HX,BG)Hom(H \rtimes X,\mathbf{B}G). But what about [|HX|,BG][|H \rtimes X|,BG]? It seems to me to be a little more difficult to show this is also the set of iso classes of equivariant bundles (well, certainly harder than the other one, which I think I could prove in a short paragraph).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

but didn’t make the effort to read the poorly-scanned article

Yeah, it takes a bit of effort. I also only now realized that the theorem 1 there assumes the structure group to be discrete. Which is probably not what you want.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2012)

But what about [|HX|,BG][|H \rtimes X|,BG]?

I need to think about this.

One special case which I can easily answer (but which will probably not be the case that you are interested in) is: GG discrete (as in the May article, in fact (where “GG” is “Π\Pi”)) and HH and XX both paracompact manifolds. In that case we may look at the situation inside ETop∞Grpd and then use the (ΠDisc)(\Pi \dashv Disc)-adjunction to compute

π 0Hom(HX,BG) π 0Hom(HX,DiscBG) [Π(HX),BG] [|HX|,BG], \begin{aligned} \pi_0 Hom(H \rtimes X, \mathbf{B}G) & \simeq \pi_0 Hom(H \rtimes X, Disc\mathbf{B}G) \\ & \simeq [\Pi(H \rtimes X), B G] \\ & \simeq [| H \rtimes X|, B G] \end{aligned} \,,

where in the last step I used the results of the discussion of geometric realization here at ETop∞Grpd .

I need to think about what one can say for non-discrete GG. But probably not tonight…

• CommentRowNumber6.

That’s cool, no need to jump on it. I’m quite happy to work completely with the Boral construction version, provided it will work for non-discrete GG

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

We need an nnLab entry on the Borel construction and how it essentially is just the geometric realization of the action groupoid.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Ah, silly me, of course they’re the same. And May’s paper is actually not very helpful, it assumes that the structure group of the bundle and the group acting on the space are related. I’m not assuming that. Hmm, MO time?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2012)

I started an entry Borel construction, indicating how to show that it is |X//G|\vert X // G\vert.

it assumes that the structure group of the bundle and the group acting on the space are related.

Not necessarily. If you take Γ=Π×G\Gamma = \Pi \times G then the theory just gives plain GG-equivariant Π\Pi-principal bundles. But it can also handle more general cases.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Ah, that’s true. Duh…

• CommentRowNumber11.

I have asked this on MO: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/91973/

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2012)

Hmm, Peter May doesn’t think it is true.

The problem is, I know that my group G is homotopically very simple (actually homotopic to an abelian topological group, but certainly not as a topological group). But at this stage my proof (of a bigger theorem) won’t allow me to use that fact.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    @12 my group G is homotopically very simple (actually homotopic to an abelian topological group, but certainly not as a topological group)

assume you mean homotopy equivalent with neither map of the equivalence being multiplicative? not even up to homotopy?
    • CommentRowNumber14.

That is true. it is a product, up to homotopy, of Eilenberg-MacLane spaces. Unless I can reconstruct the Postnikov tower in the category of topological groups, or at least H-spaces, I can’t assume multiplicativity.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Tyler Lawson pointed out, no pun intended, that one needs pointed maps, or it is clearly false.