Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2012)

In the works of Bredon, Elmendorf et al. there is the notion of a strong G-equivalence. If Top GTop^G is the category of (nice) G-spaces for G a top. group, then a strong G-equivalence is a G-map which is a homotopy equivalence and admits an inverse which is also a G-map. I was wondering if there is an analogous notion for G a loop space (e.g. G a group-like A A_\infty-space). The first problem I encountered with is that a strong GG-equivalence is the same as an ordinary G-equivalence (i.e. a G-map which is a h.e.) if the action is free, and every action can be made free by multiplying with EGEG.

Do anyone know of a place where this is done?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    Could you clarify your question? One of the points of the $A_\infty$ point of view is that a G-map that is a homotopy equivalence has n inverse which is at least an $A_\infty$ map. As you point out, freeness of the action is not a homotopy invariant concept.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP

(I deleted my last remark since to avoid confusion) I guess what I’m asking is if there is a notion of an action of a (group-like) A A_\infty-space G on a space for which not every G-map that is a h.e. will admit a G-map inverse but rather some inverse and under some conditions on the action, such a map will have G-map inverse. It may be a long shot, but it seems weird to me that a “flexixble” framework cannot differentiate between weak G-equivalence and strong G-equivalence whereas the “rigid” framework does.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2012)

it seems weird to me that a “flexixble” framework cannot differentiate between weak G-equivalence and strong G-equivalence whereas the “rigid” framework does.

This is however precisely the hallmark of that “flexible” framework: that distinctions cannot be made which are “evil” in that they are not invariant under the correct notion of weak equivalence.

The thing is that an (enriched) 1-functor from the one-object groupoid BG\mathbf{B}G (which you write just “GG” above) to TopTop is a very specific model or presentation for an \infty-functor BGGrpd\mathbf{B}G \to \infty Grpd. That specific model singles out plenty of structure which is not intrinsic to the notion it models. Hence it makes plenty of distinctions which abstractly are not but also should not be made.

You can see illustrating examples of this in much more simple situations alerady. Say in the notion of equvalence of categories. Given any two categories, it always makes sense to ask if they are equivalent. But only if you pick a very specific presentation of them does it make sense to ask if these models are even isomorphic.

You could then complain that it is weird that category theory, flexible as it is, cannot even distinguish equivalent but non-isomorphic categories. But it would be besides the point, because the properties of categories that actually matter don’t make this distinction.

The case that you are looking at is an immediate (,1)(\infty,1)-categorical generalization of this situation.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP

thank you for the clarification Urs.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It’s important to note that the classical subject of equivariant homotopy theory for a group GG, which is what I assume you’re referring to with Bredon Elmendorf etc., is not a presentation of the (,1)(\infty,1)-category of spaces with a GG-action. Rather, it is a presentation of the (,1)(\infty,1)-category of diagrams on the orbit category of GG. The distinction is, I believe, precisely that between strong/weak equivalence that you mention. To obtain a version of “equivariant homotopy theory” for an A A_\infty-space, you’d need to invent some analogue of the “orbit category”.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

To obtain a version of “equivariant homotopy theory” for an A A_\infty-space, you’d need to invent some analogue of the “orbit category”.

I’m not sure what you mean here. if we take as an analogue of the orbit category, the category of homotopy quotients (induced by any A A_\infty-map to the original A A_\infty-space) I think we’ll get that the homotopy theory of G-spaces with weak G-equivalences is equivalent to that of diagrams over this analogues orbit category with w.e. being the ones that induce w.e. on all homotopy fixed points. In this case, the theory becomes trivial.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

In this case, the theory becomes trivial.

Well, then, obviously you made a poor choice of analogue for the orbit category. (-:O

Not that I’m claiming there necessarily exists a good such choice….