Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    • (edited Apr 16th 2012)

[just a moment, re-editing message…]

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 16th 2012)

Second attempt, my first message contained a stupidity. And this one here will not be very deep either. It’s just that when running through the park tonight, I started wondering about the following:

can we somehow realize Segal space objects in an \infty-topos H\mathbf{H} – or something close to them – as models of a geometric theory, hence as something classified by geometric morphisms into another \infty-topos?

For instance, when working out what a geometric morphism HSh (Δ op)\mathbf{H} \to Sh_\infty(\Delta^{op}) is, one finds that flatness of the corresponding functor X:Δ opHX : \Delta^{op} \to \mathbf{H} in particular means that the colimits

[n]=[1] [0] [0][1] [n] = [1] \coprod_{[0]} \cdots \coprod_{[0]} [1]

in Δ\Delta have to be taken to \infty-limits. This are precisely the Segal conditions on the simplicial object XX.

Unfortunately, XX being flat means more than this. It forces that Segal object to be not just the nerve of an \infty-category, but of a “linear posetal \infty-category”, or something like this.

But, so: can we maybe modify the classifying topos Sh (Δ op)Sh_\infty(\Delta^{op}) a bit such as to actually classify general Segal objects?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 16th 2012)

can we maybe modify the classifying topos Sh(Δ op)Sh(\Delta^{op}) a bit such as to actually classify general Segal objects?

For instance, what if we take Sh(sSet fin op)Sh(sSet_{fin}^{op}) instead?

Then a flat functor X:sSet fin opH X : sSet_{fin}^op \to \mathbf{H} will still send the colimits Δ[n]=Δ[1] Δ[0] Δ[0]Δ[1]\Delta[n] = \Delta[1] \coprod_{\Delta[0]} \cdots \coprod_{\Delta[0]} \Delta[1] to limits, hence enforce the Segal conditions. But now 0, 1:Δ[0]Δ[1]\partial_0, \partial_1 : \Delta[0] \to \Delta[1] are no longer jointly epimorphic, hence (d 0,d 1):X 1X 0×X 0(d_0, d_1) : X_1 \to X_0 \times X_0 is no longer required to be a mono.

Hm…

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

You want the free (,1)(\infty,1)-category with finite limits generated by a Segal-space object. The 1-categorical analogue is well-known to exist (it’s the syntactic category of the finite-limit theory of categories), but I don’t think it has a clever description like you are looking for. The (,1)(\infty,1)-version might conjecturally be the syntactic category of a homotopy-type-theory of Segal spaces.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

All right, we know abstractly that the classifying \infty-topos exists. It would be nice to get one’s hands on it more explicitly.

I was beginning to hope that it is something simple, fundamental. But maybe not.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

I think it’s fairly rare to find a topos that both has a direct geometric description and classifies a familiar theory.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Re #6, does this even ever so slightly resemble the fact that Eilenberg-Mac Lane spaces are generally geometrically complicated?

• CommentRowNumber8.

It does seem similar, doesn’t it? (Plus the dual fact that simple geometric spaces like spheres usually represent very complicated cohomology theories.) It seems like there’s some sort of “conservation of simplicity” that simple objects often represent complicated functors, while simple functors are represented by complicated objects. Of course in that generality there are plenty of objects that are both simple and represent simple functors (and, undoubtedly, complicated objects that represent complicated functors!), but it’s an interesting parallel.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 17th 2012)

Now I feel like re-amplifying that I wasn’t just guessing a simple classifying topos for the heck of it.

Instead I thought it is kind of remarkable that the proof of the standard statement “cosimplicial sets classify inhabited linear orders” proceeds in two stages, the first being that one observes that they classify Segal objects with extra properties, the second being that these extra properties force the resulting category objects to be (0,1)(0,1)-category objects.

It seems nice and suggestive that the Segal conditions come out for free from the flatness of a functor on Δ op\Delta^{op}, and talking about “linear orders” here hides the fact that what is going on is not so much order-theoretic as category-theoretic, collapsing only in the last step to (0,1)-category theory.

Now of course you may well be right that there is no simple way to modify this to make only the Segal conditions come out, and not a stronger condition (though I’d be happy to get the Segal condition plus the completeness condition ;-). But nevertheless it seems to be something worth observing and worth thinking about for a sec.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Also I think Eilenberg-MacLane objects have a very simple explicit description, if not viewed from a bad angle. I’d be quite happy if I had a description of the classifying topos for Segal objects as simple as the usual description of EM objects.