Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMirco Richter
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    • (edited Apr 16th 2012)

Suppose you have a category C\mathbf{C} and a category D\mathbf{D} such that C\mathbf{C} is a subcategory of D\mathbf{D} and D\mathbf{D} is a subcategory of Set\mathbf{Set}. Moreover the simplicial skeleton (endo)functor Sk n\mathbf{Sk}^n
    exists in the category of simplicial C\mathbf{C} objects sC\mathbf{sC} but not in the category of simplicial D\mathbf{D} objects sD\mathbf{sD}.

Moreover suppose XsCX \in \mathbf{sC} is ’nn-skeleton’ (means Sk n(X)=X\mathbf{Sk}^n(X) = X). Then there is the adjunction

Hom sC(X,Y)Hom sC(X,Cosk nY)Hom_{\mathbf{sC}}(X,Y) \simeq Hom_{\mathbf{sC}}(X,\mathbf{Cosk}^n Y) for any YsCY \in \mathbf{sC}.

Now suppose that the endofunctor Cosk n\mathbf{Cosk}^n still exsists in sD\mathbf{sD} and that now YsD Y \in \mathbf{sD} but YsCY \notin \mathbf{sC}.

Does the adjunction Hom sD(X,Y)Hom sD(X,Cosk nY)Hom_{\mathbf{sD}}(X,Y) \simeq Hom_{\mathbf{sD}}(X,\mathbf{Cosk}^n Y) still holds?

Something like this occurs for example when C\mathbf{C} is the category of vector spaces and D\mathbf{D} is the category of Banach manifolds and XX is a simplicial vector space with Sk nX=X\mathbf{Sk}^n X = X and YY is a ’nonlinear’ simplicial manifold.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

nothing?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    • (edited Apr 17th 2012)

Moreover suppose XsCX \in sC is ’nn-skeleton’

One says XX is nn-skeletal.

I think you are after a relative adjoint functor (seel local definition of adjoints).

To answer your question, you will need some assumption on the inclusion CDC \to D preserving the colimits that sksk is built from. If they are preserved (and I take it you assume that the dual limits that coskcosk is built from exist in DD), then the desired relation will hold.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

No the relative adjoint functor definition doesn’t apply here. But ok, In that case I think the answer is just that you can’t generally say that the natural isomorphism exists…

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

No the relative adjoint functor definition doesn’t apply here.

Here is how:

Apply the following dictionary to translate from the notation at relative adjoint functor to your notation

• CC becomes sDsD

• DD becomes sDsD

• BB becomes sCsC

• J:BDJ : B \to D becomes sCsDsC \hookrightarrow sD.

• R:CDR : C \to D becomes cosk n:sDsDcosk_n : sD \to sD

• L:BCL : B \to C becomes sk n:sCsDsk_n : sC \to sD.

With that the natural iso

Hom C(L(),)Hom D(J(),R()) Hom_C(L(-), -) \simeq Hom_D(J(-), R(-))

becomes the natural iso that you are after

Hom sD(sk n(X),(Y))Hom sD(X,cosk nY) Hom_{sD}(sk_n(X), (Y)) \simeq Hom_{sD}(X, cosk_n Y)

for XsCX \in sC, YsDY \in sD

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Apr 19th 2012)

I know, but what I mean is that this is not a solution to the problem. Just a formal clean way to write it down. We only now that the natural iso exists in the subcategory sC\mathbf{sC}, but if I understand it right this doesn’t implay

Hom sD(sk n(X),Y)Hom sD(X,cosk nY)Hom_{sD}(sk_n(X),Y) \simeq Hom_{sD}(X,cosk_n Y) for

XsCX \in sC and YsDY \in sD. Right?

So I still ave to show that the iso exist here.

• CommentRowNumber7.

If someone knows more please let me know. (I know most of the time I’m here for just asking questions, but you are the leading experts :-) and those things are quite cumbersome to me). The question is two fold:

Assuming I know that in sCsC the isomorphism Hom sC(sk n(X),Y)Hom sC(X,cosk nY)Hom_{sC}(sk_n(X),Y) \simeq Hom_{sC}(X,cosk_nY) exists.

1.) Do I still have to prove that there is a natural iso giving Hom sD(sk n(X),Y)Hom sD(X,cosk nY)Hom_{sD}(sk_n(X),Y) \simeq Hom_{sD}(X,cosk_n Y) for XsCX \in sC and YsDY \in sD, or is this automatic?

2.) If I still have to prove it, can I take somehow advantage of the fact that the isomorphism exist in the subcat sCsC?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

As I said, you need that the inclusion preserves the colimits.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

Ok. Just a little fine tuning:

1.) Must JJ preserve all colimits or only those used in sk nsk_n?

2.) Must DD have all limits or only those used in cosk ncosk_n?