Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I added some closure properties of the class of proper morphisms of toposes and the proposition saying that a morphism of toposes is proper iff it satisfies the stable weak Beck-Chevalley condition to proper geometric morphism.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Thanks!

I have added some hyperlinks to the various notions of geometric morphisms involved.

Eventually we should add comments on what kinds of pullbacks of toposes are involved here.

By the way, concerning those free loop spaces: since proper geometric morphisms are stable under pullback, it follows that with XX a compact Hausdorff topos also X\mathcal{L}X is compact (being the pullback of the diagonal XX×XX \to X \times X, which is proper iff XX is Hausdorff). Not sure if that is what you need, but it might be worth mentioning.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

I have added to the References pointers to Jacob Lurie’s discussion of higher compactness conditions for higher toposes.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2018

I’m a little concerned about the current state of this page.

The material on proper and tidy morphisms in ordinary 1-topos theory seems fine – it’s in the literature, after all.

But I’m not confident in the material on nn-proper morphisms of \infty-topoi (which, as far as I know, doesn’t appear in the literature):

1. For one thing, Lurie’s definition of proper geometric morphism (Def 7.3.1.4 in HTT) is not mentioned or referenced.

2. For another, the condition that indexed filtered colimits be preserved seems to have been dropped. Currently the definition on the page just says that ordinary filtered colimits (of nn-truncated objects) should be preserved.

Regarding (2), Lurie conjectures that a definition along these lines equivalent to his own can be given in HTT Rmk 7.3.1.5, but he doesn’t attempt to state it specifically because the requisite indexed \infty-category theory has not been developed.

Note also that Lurie’s definition of “proper” corresponds to what the definition on this page would call “\infty-proper”, with no truncation restrictions.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

…the requisite indexed ∞-category theory has not been developed

Has it since been sufficiently developed, as in here?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

The page should of course mention and compare to Lurie’s definition. However, I think the definition as it stands is probably correct, albeit imprecise. First it defines a compact topos, which is to say one that is proper over Gpd\infty Gpd, and in this case (just as for 1-toposes over SetSet) the indexedness condition is automatic. Then it “defines” a proper geometric morphism to be one that exhibits its domain as “compact over its codomain as base topos”, which in general means that “everything becomes indexed”. But this is certainly potentially confusing and should be spelled out.