Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMirco Richter
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    • (edited May 17th 2012)

Suppose VV is a vector space and C(V)C(V) its cofree coalgebra with a universal morphism ε\epsilon. Lets identify C(V)C(V) for a moment with its underlaying vector space and take the cofree coalgebra C 2(V):=C(C(V))C^2(V) := C(C(V)). Then

C 2(V)C(V)C^2(V) \simeq C(V) as cofree coalgebras.

(To see that observe that there is a universal morphism σ:C 2(V)C(V)\sigma: C^2(V) \to C(V) and consequently a map δ:=εσ\delta:= \epsilon \circ \sigma. To see that it is a universal morphism C 2(V)VC^2(V) \to V suppose CC is a coalgebra and f:CVf:C \to V a linear map. Then there is a unique coalgebra map g 1:CC(V)g_1:C \to C(V) with f=εg 1f=\epsilon\circ g_1. In particular g 1g_1 is a linear map and since C 2(V)C^2(V) is the cofree coalgebra of C(V)C(V) there is a unique coalgebra map g 2:CC 2(V)g_2:C \to C^2(V) with g 1=σg 2g_1=\sigma\circ g_2 and f=εσg 2=δg 2f=\epsilon\circ \sigma\circ g_2 = \delta \circ g_2.)

In that case I would like to say, that the cofree coalgebra functor is ’idempotent’. But of course this can’t be the right term since it is not an endofunctor.

Moreover the proof is very basic and not at all specific to coalgebra. The only additional assumption (beside the cofreeness) is that the cofree object has an underlying object in the same category as the original object. Consequently this kind of ’idempotence’ could be a property of many cofree functors.

So my question: Is this a general property of cofree functors? And what is an adequate term for that kind of ’idempotence’?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

this can’t be the right term since it is not an endofunctor.

If it’s not an endofunctor, then you can’t compose it with itself, as you did!

So you are making a mistake somewhere. Do you see where? Hint: around the words “for a moment”.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited May 17th 2012)

I didn’t it exactly because I forgot the coalgebra structure. But that is not a mistake. I just defined C 2(V)C^2(V) as the cofree coalgebra of the vector space C(V)C(V) and showed that this coalgebra is the same as the coalgebra C(V)C(V).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited May 17th 2012)

But from your comment I guess, that the cofree coalgebra (lets call it C˜ 2(V)\tilde{C}^2(V) of the COFREE COALGEBRA C(V)C(V) is not equivalent to C(V)C(V) … ?

What I showed is just that the cofree coalgebra C 2(V)C^2(V) of the VECTORSPACE C(V)C(V) is equivalent to C(V)C(V). Hence the underlying vector space structures of C˜ 2(V)\tilde{C}^2(V) and C 2(V)C^2(V) are equivalent while (maybe) the coalgebra structures differs. Can we say that?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 17th 2012)

What I mean is that you are looking not just at the free functor from vector space to coalgebras, but secretly also at the forgetful functor back from coalgebras to their underlying vector spaces.

While you did notice that you shoul “identitfy for a moment C(V)C(V) with its underlying vector space” you need indeed to do that systematically, not just “for the moment”.

Precisely:

You are really looking at a (free functor \dashv forgetful functor)-adjunction

CoalgebrasForgetFreeVectorSpaces Coalgebras \stackrel{\overset{Free}{\leftarrow}}{\underset{Forget}{\to}} VectorSpaces

and the operation that you are secretly applying is the composite of both, which is an endofunctor (namely the monad induced by the adjunction)

C:VectorSpacesFreeCoalgebrasForgetVectorSpaces. C : VectorSpaces \stackrel{Free}{\to} Coalgebras \stackrel{Forget}{\to} VectorSpaces \,.
    • CommentRowNumber6.

Yes ok I see. But a minor thing: it is forgetful functor \dashv cofree functor.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012
    • (edited May 18th 2012)

I believe that you have an idempotent comonad.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012
    • (edited May 18th 2012)

Sure, my variance was the opposite.