Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012

Stub constructible set, not yet precise (e.g. the universe is not a Boolean algebra as it is a proper class), but gives idea what we could work on in the entry.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

The class of pure sets is a large Boolean algebra, so I wouldn’t worry about that. But I don’t understood how the constructible universe is analogous to the Borel algebra of a topological space. (And in the latter case, wouldn’t one just say “Borel set” instead of “constructible set”?) Perhaps the algebraic geometry provides the link? (Clearly you’ve barely touched on that.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
    • (edited May 29th 2012)

Thanks, Toby.

No, Toby, I WAS ENTIRELY WRONG. Borel sets are much more general than constructible, sorry. The constructible sets in a topological space context form the smallest Boolean subalgebra containing open sets. I should correct this.

In any case, both notions are central in the part of model theory which is called ’descriptive set theory’.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

I see, you wrote “Borel” where it should be (and now is) “Boolean”. Now it makes sense (including the word “smallest”).

I still don’t see the connection to Gödel constructibility, other than the very general notion of definability in some language over some objects (in one case, the language of boolean algebra over the open sets; in the other case, the language of material set theory over the von Neumann ordinals). Is there a more precise analogy than this?